We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium calceolus  (Read 1534 times)

Ellenndan

Cypripedium calceolus
« on: March 07, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »
I have just ordered a Cypripedium calceolus I haven't grown them for successfully in the past and was wondering what mix to use as I'm growing them in a pot
Many thanks

Tristan_He

Re: Cypripedium calceolus
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 08:56:28 PM »
Hi there. You need a very open, free draining mix - about 80% or so of pumice, Seramis or perlite and at most 20% light organic matter such as leaf mould or fine bark chippings. They are greedy feeders when starting in growth so need regular liquid feed up till flowering, afterwards not so much. If you can it's probably a good idea to plunge the pot in the ground in a cool shady place as Cyps hate their root systems overheating. Protect from slugs and watch out for strong wind which can snap the stems. Good luck!

Ellenndan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »
Thank you for the reply and information. I have some perlite and will now get some seramis and some fine bark. What feed would you use for them

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 06:17:48 PM »
A balanced liquid feed - something like Miracle-gro is good. A little bit of solid food like Osmocote in the early spring is also a good idea. There is some good advice at the Frosch cypripedium website.

Ellenndan

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 06:23:59 PM »
Brilliant thank you

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »
Here i grow them in my heavy clay, as in the wild. I think there's a legend about the fact they need a lot of drainage.

In nature they grow in a rich humus and calcareous clayish soil, most often in cold and wet ravines where drainage is quite limited but free flowing during heavy rains.
The first 5-8cm layer is composed of leaves compost and then deeper really heavy clay with very few rounded rock chips.
Beeches like clay, Cypripedium like beeches.

However they're not bog/standing water plants.

To resume nose buds in humus, roots in clay.
North of France

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »
> Cypripedium like beeches.

Not only.
C. calceolus also loves to watch the sunrise. .... at least my observation here at some wild locations ;-)

Greetings
Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal