We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium Californicum - substrate etc.  (Read 1194 times)

bloomhunt

Cypripedium Californicum - substrate etc.
« on: February 16, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
Hey guys!
know there are a lot of cypripedium topics right here,-
 I guess there is not a better place to ask for cultivation, substrate questions,
 Got my hands on a cypripedium californicum last year which build up one second shoot nicely,
 At first I used peat, quartz sand with perlite, - provides good drainage and worked good for my conditions,
 i was reading dozen of Hours about cultivation tricks, - many told to not grow wet, - other ones told to grow them wet all time with non organic soil, -
 Could someone give proper advises about cultivation that one spec in pot culture?
 I would try to use this year a bit coco, peat, seramis- with almost pure perlite content.
 If someone cultivated them positively- let me know about your secret mixture😉
 Thanks for advises!
 Jack
 Ps. The attached photo shows the last year‘s californicum, one root tip was broken, powdered that one with antiseptics🍀

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
Re: Cypripedium Californicum - substrate etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
I use a mix of 1 part loam, 2 parts sand and 2 parts moler cat litter for californicum and other cyps. No peat or other organics. My cyps rot if i add peat, probably top much water.

bloomhunt

Re: Cypripedium Californicum - substrate etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:07:19 AM »
Alright, just repotted them in almost mineral soil, I water frequently every day to not allow her dry up to quickly.
Thanks for your advise!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal