We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New setup on compressed Styrofoam and cleaning cloth  (Read 1279 times)

partisangardener

• Luther Art
New setup on compressed Styrofoam and cleaning cloth
« on: January 21, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »
I invented a quite easy method for germination small seeds, while Corona restricted me to my home.
Up to now I have there germinating Pinguicula, Drosera, Sarracenia, Gentiana,  Vaccinium.  Some Orchids have not schown up yet. but   on a different isle are a lot Cistus laurifolius which I could not germinate in substrate.

https://forum.carnivoren.org/forums/topic/49271-alternative-aussaatmethoden-mit-wenig-bis-keinem-torfanteil/

The same method works very well for my carnovore bogs. Very little peat and easy to maintain. Transport is a peace of cake.
Most of the weight is water.
https://forum.carnivoren.org/forums/topic/36569-patchworkmoorbeet-erweiterbares-moorbeet-im-baukastenstil/page/11/

Its all in German but the pictures explain how it is done.
I had to move my last patchworkbog. So I invented one which is easy to be moved and does not require lots of material and peat. The styrofoam was a left over and some more I bought just before the first "lock down" here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:45:47 PM by partisangardener »
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New setup on compressed Styrofoam and cleaning cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »
Clever idea, Axel!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

partisangardener

• Luther Art
Re: New setup on compressed Styrofoam and cleaning cloth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »
Germination after the cold period led to nearly 100% with Pinguicula in both species (half before half after). Drosera filiformis started finaly, they certainly do need stratification.
Even some orchid seedlings apeared. Not sure which species. Mycorrhiza seems to be present in several species.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:33:31 PM by partisangardener »
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal