We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pozoa coriacea  (Read 2593 times)

moricais

• Rock plants
Pozoa coriacea
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:37:32 PM »
Do you have informations for growing Pozoa coriacea ?
Thanks

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Pozoa coriacea
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
Do you have informations for growing Pozoa coriacea

Have a look at this site  http://www.chileflora.com/Florachilena/FloraEnglish/HighResPages/EH0074.htm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »
Hello, moricais, welcome to the Forum!

I do not grow this plant but I will tell what little I do know about it.... which may be helpful to anyone who does not know it....... this is a small ( 6 inches/ 15 cms) plant from Central Chile, I believe.... from altitudes up to 2700m.... so growing the the same zone with many cushion plants, such as Azorella.
 In the family apiaceae.... looks like a tiny aniseed plant! I beleive it can withstand temperatures of minus 15  to 20 degrees C and can be covered with snow for up to eight months at a time in Chile.

Where do you garden, moricais.... can you expect eight months of snow?  ::) ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
Oh, yes, Michael, handy link..... good photos, too. 
I have a feeling this might be a tap-rooted species and hard to transplant the seedlings , because of that..... any opinions, please?

moricais

• Rock plants
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
First, thanks for your welcome, and excuse me for my bad english .

There's no growing tips on chileflora. I buy a lot of seeds from chile, bat there's no  tips on the web for pozoa.

I don't have snow for 6 or 8 months . My garden is in Britanny near Nantes (France).

I am an member of this society http://saja.free.fr/  and you can join our forum for rock plants on http://plantes-passion.forumactif.fr/les-plantes-de-rocaille-f17/

See you later
Eric

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:27:49 PM »
Well, Eric, I guess you won't have so much snow in Brittany!
 It is good to have another SAJAist here... the SRGC and SAJA are old friends!!

We have other Forumists here from your plantes-passion.forum, also, I think  8)
Yes, it is difficult to get much information on many South American or Chilean plants.... though we have several lovers of South american bulbs on this Forum . ::)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:19:15 AM by Maggi Young »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »
Maggi,I transplant tap-rooted plants immediately on germination,that is as soon as they are big enough to handle, which might only be two days. It is your only chance of success other than sowing the seeds individually which can be a fiddly business.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »
I have been in contact with Alberto Castillo, to ask for  his advice ,he writes:
"My pleasure! Such plants receive rainfall in autumn that activates the roots and from then on snow that maintain them sleeping until the defrost at which time they will start their rapid cycle. Sounds familiar, right? A lot like tulips in the wild. Same with Tecophilaea cyanocrocus and the Placeas that people find so fascinating and impossible to grow out of cool climates."

Alberto is gravely concerned at the situation of unethical collecting in the South American countries and adds:
"The Chileanflora business is sinister. They have endangered plants for sale and encourage people to purchase their seed "to save the species". Maggi, with so many species being wiped out things must be clear. We can not take both sides. "

moricais

• Rock plants
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
Thank you for your answer. I wanted right knowledge s' there was a specific method.
I soak the fruits for two days in water, then put them into wet sand and put them into refrigerator at about +2 +5º C for about 30 days, that my method for 2009. Certain seeds are treated with the GA3. While waiting for seeds of the SRGC and the SAJA, here my current program :
Acaena antarctica,Acaena caespitosa,Acaena magellanica,Acaena pinnatifida,Adesmia longipes,Alstroemeria exerens,Alstroemeria pseudospatulata,Alstroemeria umbellata,Androsace limprichtii,Androsace septentrionalis,Anemone demisia,Anemone moorei,Anemone sylvestris,Aquilegia atrata,Aquilegia formosa,Arenia procera ssp glaba,Calandrinia affinis,Calandrinia colchaguensis,Calceolaria cana,Caltha sagittada,Campanula barbata,Cerastium alpinum ssp lanatum,Chaetanthera chilensis,Collomia biflora,Conanthera bifolia,Conanthera campanulata,Daphne acutiloba,Daphne domini,Daphne mezereum,Delphinium pylzowii,Draba aizoides,Draba athoa,Draba cretica,Draba cuspidata,Draba hispanica,Draba nivalis,Drypis spinosa,Edraianthus tenuifolius,Erica vagans,Erigeron acriss ssp clebilis white,Erinus alpinus,Erysinum helveticum,Euphrasia andicola,Euphrasia flavicans,Gaultheria caespitosa,Gentiana acaulis,Gentiana asclepiadea,Gentiana gracilipes,,Gentiane ternifolia,Leucocoryne alliacea,Leucocoryne ixioides,Leucocoryne vitatta,Malesherbia linearifolia,Menonvillea cuneata,Mimulus luteus,Mimulus naiandinus,Mutisia linearifolia,Nasthanthus agglomeratus,Nasthanthus spathulatus,Nolana paradoxa,Olsynium frigidum,Ourisia microphylla,Oxalis gigantea,Oziroe arida,Pasithea coerulea,Perezia cartamoides,Phacelia secunda,Pozoa coriacea,Rhodophiala andicola,Rhodophiala montana,Rhodophiala phycelloides,Rhodophiala rhodolirion,Rhodophiala splendens,Schizanthus alpestris,Schizanthus grahamii
Scilla peruviana,Sepervivum kosanini,Silene andicola,Silene chilensis,Silene schalta,Solaria brevicoalita,Stenandrium dulce,Triptilion spinosum,Viola atropurpurea,Viola vulcanica

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:14 PM »
That is a list to keep you busy, Eric; Grow them in good health!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal