We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus Year 2021  (Read 24774 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Crocus Year 2021
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
Last year there was a single thread with seasonal posts and i think it's a good idea to gather photos in one thread.

Here's the first of 2021, Crocus sieberi subsp atticus, i sown in august 2016 from seeds i collected on Mt Parnitha, GR.

Those in the garden are still in the cold mud but in the greenhouse it's a wake up for many species.
As some may know i've planted 90% of my collection in the garden, growing them in the greenhouse was more and more challenging with the spring and summer heat.
I still keep few pots of each species as a backup in the greenhouse and bring pots back in the garage during summer period.
North of France

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus Year 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 05:44:56 AM »
Yesterday came forecasted frost - in night temperature can drop here to minus 15-18 C, so a day beforeI used 4 hours for covering of my raised beds with 5 cm thick glass-wool sheets. But 2 pots with early running Iranian crocuses I brought inside to force flower opening and then back to poly-tunnel under cover.
The first two pictures are of Crocus iranicus type gathering from near Saqqez city during my first Iranian trip in 2012
The other two picturesa are from crocus collected near so named "Anemone field" (40 km S from Saqqez) and most likely are the same Crocus iranicus.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:50:17 AM »
Those in the garden are still in the cold mud but in the greenhouse it's a wake up for many species.
As some may know i've planted 90% of my collection in the garden, growing them in the greenhouse was more and more challenging with the spring and summer heat.
I still keep few pots of each species as a backup in the greenhouse and bring pots back in the garage during summer period.

Now I'm bringing a lot of pots from greenhouse to partly shaded pot outside. Started with Crocus abantensis but now outside during summer hot are brought almost all high altitude and all forest species. Crop immediately increased. Only windflowers (Anemone nemorosa & ranunculoides) stay inside to protect against Dumontinia. They didn't suffer from hot and drought.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:49:25 AM »
Crocus Iranicus is a very attractive Crocus Janis !

Crocus nivalis only opened on the window sill...

Same for Crocus bowlesianus who had received an unwanted visitor...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:18:41 PM »
lovely, the slug is so shy i can't see it ;)
North of France

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 07:53:34 AM »
lovely, the slug is so shy i can't see it ;)

I looked for it, bt without succes... I think the damage already happened in the bud stage...  >:(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 05:54:51 PM »
Today. Unfortunately, the föhn storm blew the flower a bit

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
My bulb collection has been relocated to my new home in Wales.  So far the crocuses seem happy and as the last of the autumn species, Crocus laevigatus finished flowering, the first of the 'Spring' species opened on Christmas Day.  This was Crocus suaveolens which more typically starts in January, the main flush looking good today.
A number of forms of the 'sieberi' group have also made an early start.   Pictured below are forms of Crocus atticus, Crocus nivalis, Crocus sublimis and Crocus nivalis.   

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:43:08 PM »
Continuing mostly in the 'sieberi' group.   
Crocus rujanensis, a uniform seed raising .  I find these often breed variable from home produced seed and suspect they cross with others in this group.   
A large flowered from of Crocus sublimis, another variable taxon.   
A seedling ex Crocus atticus, very special with yellow flowers, the outer petals strongly flushed purple.    I have had two such occur, from seed raising in different years but the seed lines of both can be traced back to a seed collection made in Greece in 2000 by Steve and Val Keeble.
Odd one out is Crocus gargaricus, bright yellow.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 02:48:49 PM »
Great photos, Tony!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 02:50:53 PM »
Some from the biflorus group.
edit - Labelled as Crocus alexandrii is in fact another biflorus type from a sowing made in the days when many of these were called 'isauricus'
Crocus mediotauricus.  Came to me as sp HK 0112 from Thomas Huber.   Looking that collection up it seems it has been defined as Crocus mediotauricus.   
Crocus kerndorffiorum.   Raised from seed sown in 2018 received from Gothenburg BG
Crocus kerndorffiorum x leichtinii.   This form as been in cultivation for a while and shows the vigour associated with a good hybrid, multiplying quite quickly.   It's small and delicate and flowers early so while it might grow outside, it's likely to be best given some protection.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:23:59 PM by tonyg »

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 05:32:56 PM »
the first of the season, a bit damaged by heavy rains

Crocus pseudonubigena and bowlesianus
North of France

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 05:48:11 AM »
Continuing mostly in the 'sieberi' group.   
Crocus rujanensis, a uniform seed raising .  I find these often breed variable from home produced seed and suspect they cross with others in this group.   
A large flowered from of Crocus sublimis, another variable taxon.   
A seedling ex Crocus atticus, very special with yellow flowers, the outer petals strongly flushed purple.    I have had two such occur, from seed raising in different years but the seed lines of both can be traced back to a seed collection made in Greece in 2000 by Steve and Val Keeble.
Odd one out is Crocus gargaricus, bright yellow.
Especially interesting is ex atticus!

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 05:52:44 AM »
Some from the biflorus group.
Crocus alexandrii.  A very dark coloured form that was gifted to me by Lesley Cox
Crocus mediotauricus.  Came to me as sp HK 0112 from Thomas Huber.   Looking that collection up it seems it has been defined as Crocus mediotauricus.   
Crocus kerndorffiorum.   Raised from seed sown in 2018 received from Gothenburg BG
Crocus kerndorffiorum x leichtinii.   This form as been in cultivation for a while and shows the vigour associated with a good hybrid, multiplying quite quickly.   It's small and delicate and flowers early so while it might grow outside, it's likely to be best given some protection.
Tony, It is not alexandrii! C. alexandrii never has yellow throat.

Ophrys

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
Crocus bayotiporum was very early this year. Pitty it was the darkest time of the year.

679515-0

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal