We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78191 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #600 on: May 12, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
Nice foliage
My sister got a mixed 10 nobilis from Händel as a birthday present from me.
As it was after flowering time it was nice foliage instead.
Here they are after unpacking and quite a few nicely marbled

I will see if I can get some divisions from her in some years
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #601 on: May 12, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »
I have been following this seedling for 2 years

First I saw the strange foliage but this year it is marbled and starange foliage
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #602 on: May 12, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »
One of my plants looks a bit like maiden and was the only one that did not give seeds
Is it maiden?

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #603 on: May 13, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
Nice foliage
My sister got a mixed 10 nobilis from Händel as a birthday present from me.
As it was after flowering time it was nice foliage instead.
Here they are after unpacking and quite a few nicely marbled

I will see if I can get some divisions from her in some years
Joakim, your sister is very lucky with such a brother!
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #604 on: May 13, 2021, 08:01:17 AM »
I have been following this seedling for 2 years

First I saw the strange foliage but this year it is marbled and starange foliage
Joakim, they are several seedlings close to each other. The  one with that weird leaf might be a cross. Now  waiting for a flower.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #605 on: May 13, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »
One of my plants looks a bit like maiden and was the only one that did not give seeds
Is it maiden?
Joakim, I don’t see any  anthers, so it should be maiden.
Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #606 on: May 13, 2021, 11:19:12 PM »
Herman thanks for the inputs !
Herman my sister is lucky, but more for the nice foliage than the brother :)

I agree that there is a mix of seedlings. There might be crenotoloba genes in the one with funny foliage, could that be a possible reason for the form of foliage? I used to have a pot with interesting version, but the plant did not survive my mistreating it in a pot.
I think it will take a while to get the seedling to flower and then I presume if it is getting seeds it will not be a media hybrid.
Are hybrids common by just natural pollination? It was probably seeds that was in a pot rather than any plant that I planted

Herman I am happy to get it confirmed that it seems to be a maiden. Why is maiden forms interesting apart from that they can not self pollinate? Or are they not interesting. The plant had nice colour and flowered a bit later so that is enough to make it interesting for me.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #607 on: May 14, 2021, 09:13:18 AM »
Herman thanks for the inputs !
Herman my sister is lucky, but more for the nice foliage than the brother :)

I agree that there is a mix of seedlings. There might be crenotoloba genes in the one with funny foliage, could that be a possible reason for the form of foliage? I used to have a pot with interesting version, but the plant did not survive my mistreating it in a pot.
I think it will take a while to get the seedling to flower and then I presume if it is getting seeds it will not be a media hybrid.
Are hybrids common by just natural pollination? It was probably seeds that was in a pot rather than any plant that I planted

Herman I am happy to get it confirmed that it seems to be a maiden. Why is maiden forms interesting apart from that they can not self pollinate? Or are they not interesting. The plant had nice colour and flowered a bit later so that is enough to make it interesting for me.
Joakim, maiden forms bloom longer because fertilization is more difficult. They are interesting for crossings. You don't have to remove stamens.
Belgium

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #608 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:59 PM »
A lovel marked leaf fiorm of H. nobilis that Ken grew from Gabriela's incredible seed.

Yesterday I couldn't help but notice how H. 'Millstream Merlin' was still giving a fine show with its few flowers and foliage.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #609 on: May 15, 2021, 07:21:21 AM »
A lovel marked leaf fiorm of H. nobilis that Ken grew from Gabriela's incredible seed.

Yesterday I couldn't help but notice how H. 'Millstream Merlin' was still giving a fine show with its few flowers and foliage.

john
Lovely Hepatica's John. Here it is the same with H. 'Millstream Merlin'.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 07:28:31 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

kris

« Reply #610 on: May 15, 2021, 12:27:25 PM »

john
That is a nice leaf pattern.
I got a pleasant surprise 2days ago. Saw a Hepatica seedling flowering with one flower. When I looked at the label it was from Gabrielas seed.Thanks Gabriela.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #611 on: May 15, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »
I got a pleasant surprise 2days ago. Saw a Hepatica seedling flowering with one flower. When I looked at the label it was from Gabrielas seed.Thanks Gabriela.
Kris, it is indeed a pleasant surprise!
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #612 on: May 15, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
Also here 'Millstream Merlin' still has flowers (all three of them, it was planted last year).

The latest Hepaticas here are 'Louise Kohler' and surprisingly H.americana from Gabriela's seeds started to flower later than our own H.nobilis.
These were first time flowering and almost every plant was subtly different. Among were two multipetal plants, another white and another blue. What luck!
Pictures are from three days ago but there are still some flowers in them. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #613 on: May 16, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »

john

So you kept it secret about having the 'Millstream Merlin' John!
The first picture it is for sure H. nobilis var. pyrenaica; I remember sending you few plants a few years ago but not precisely what.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #614 on: May 16, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »

Nice Kris, and you were complaining about not being able to grow H. americana :)

Also here 'Millstream Merlin' still has flowers (all three of them, it was planted last year).

The latest Hepaticas here are 'Louise Kohler' and surprisingly H.americana from Gabriela's seeds started to flower later than our own H.nobilis.
These were first time flowering and almost every plant was subtly different. Among were two multipetal plants, another white and another blue. What luck!
Pictures are from three days ago but there are still some flowers in them. :)

Stunning Leena! I am very happy you obtain these very beautiful specimens.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal