We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78271 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #570 on: May 03, 2021, 07:18:52 AM »
Interesting discussion about H.acutiloba and also H.transsilvanica!
And beautiful pictures from Kris, your Hepaticas seem to get more sun than mine, and flower so well.
The first picture is H.acutiloba grown from Gabriela's seed.
The second plant is 'Blue Eyes', H.transsilvanica I think though I haven't seen seeds in it.
The last picture is how my unnamed H.transsilvanica (from a friend who bought it from Sweden) flowers look now.
Leena from south of Finland

Carolyn

« Reply #571 on: May 03, 2021, 09:08:39 AM »
Herman, thanks for the clarification about Blue Jewel - I should have thought of looking at Ashwood’s guide!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #572 on: May 03, 2021, 11:47:18 PM »
Herman, not entirely. It seems like the plant wants to be H. acutiloba, but it still can't quite decide completely!

Peppa, it is interesting how the plant still forms a few leaves with rounded lobes, but your first images clearly show H. acutiloba type leaves and also acute calyx lobes of the flower. A plant can't change its genetic state from one year to another. It is an interesting phenomenon but hybrid plants (not only of Hepatica) will show intermediate characters of the parents on a constant base.

H. acutiloba seedlings from a locality where only H. acutiloba exists; even so, the seedlings can show great variability.

Seedlings, ex. 'Purple Star' with narrower, long acuminate lobes (the mother plant shows this character).

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #573 on: May 03, 2021, 11:51:41 PM »
Interesting discussion about H.acutiloba and also H.transsilvanica!
And beautiful pictures from Kris, your Hepaticas seem to get more sun than mine, and flower so well.
The first picture is H.acutiloba grown from Gabriela's seed.
The second plant is 'Blue Eyes', H.transsilvanica I think though I haven't seen seeds in it.
The last picture is how my unnamed H.transsilvanica (from a friend who bought it from Sweden) flowers look now.

Nice to see H. acutiloba flowering Leena.
I don't know about the Blue Eyes. Like Herman mentioned there is some confusion in the trades in regards with H. x media  and H. transsilvanica.
I also took few pictures but didn't get to post them.
H. x media ('Buis' most probably, but could be something else, sterile)

H. x media 'Silberprinzessin'

H. transsilvanica (ex. Kris I should add, there may be some variability depending on the clone)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:39:26 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #574 on: May 04, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
Nice to see H. acutiloba flowering Leena.
I don't know about the Blue Eyes. Like Herman mentioned there is some confusion in the trades in regards with H. x media  and H. transsilvanica.
I also took few pictures but didn't get to post them.
H. x media ('Buis' most probably, but could be something else, sterile)

H. x media 'Silberprinzessin'

H. x transsilvanica (ex. Kris I should add, there may be some variability depending on the clone)

Gabriella, the last one indeed looks more transsilvanica and is not so compact. It seems even that there is a creeping rhizome or are they two plants.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:20:34 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #575 on: May 04, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
I managed to buy a Hepatica nobilis flora plena white at least this what I bought it as.

It took a bit of beating during transport and it was exiting to get a bottle of Rum in the post but it was a different content in the case :)

Luckely I do not buy rum anymore so can enjoy the hepatica instead.

It does not look perfect alba plena but had 3 flowers that has left all petals in the package of 2 of them.

It is different from my other plants so hope it will enjoy life with me :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:09:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Leena

« Reply #576 on: May 04, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »
Very nice, Joakim. :)

Thank you for the leaf pictures, everyone. I will take a picture of leaves of my H.transsilvanicas when they come.

Here is one more picture from the week-end. I have shown this H.pubescens already earlier, but  I checked that I had taken the first flower picture of it April 8th and this picture was taken May 2nd, and it is still flowering so it has  flowered almost a month. Not bad. :)
The second picture is the biggest white H.americana and the third picture pink H. x schlyteri.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #577 on: May 04, 2021, 05:13:35 PM »

Thank you for the leaf pictures, everyone. I will take a picture of leaves of my H.transsilvanicas when they come.

Here is one more picture from the week-end. I have shown this H.pubescens already earlier, but  I checked that I had taken the first flower picture of it April 8th and this picture was taken May 2nd, and it is still flowering so it has  flowered almost a month. Not bad. :)
The second picture is the biggest white H.americana and the third picture pink H. x schlyteri.
Leena, your pubescens is indeed a good flowering Hepatica!
H x schlyteri is gorgeous! Is it also sterile?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:15:37 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #578 on: May 04, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
Leena, your pubescens is indeed a good flowering Hepatica!
H x schlyteri is gorgeous!

Also the weather has been quite cool, so that is why flowering has lasted so well.
Pink H x schlyteri was bought from Ashwood in summer 2019, and last year it wasn't looking so good, but now I'm glad to see that it has started to grow well. :)

Leena

« Reply #579 on: May 04, 2021, 05:18:05 PM »
H x schlyteri is gorgeous! Is it also sterile?

I don't know but last year it didn't have seeds.

Gabriela

« Reply #580 on: May 04, 2021, 08:53:30 PM »

The on and off of cool weather has also prolonged the flowering of Hepaticas Leena; so all in all, not too bad comparing with other years.

Gabriella, the last one indeed looks more transsilvanica and is not so compact. It seems even that there is a creeping rhizome or are they two plants.

There are two young plants nearby Herman. The lobes are a bit too pointy, I will wait to see if they start spreading and if not, I shall change the label. The pictures with the transsilvanica shown by Kris are not really typical of the species, habit growing wise.

I looked for H. transsilvanica pictures from the wild for comparison. The first two images were taken in Râșnov,  Brașov county (Romania).

This one is from Tâmpa Mountain, Brașov.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #581 on: May 05, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »
The on and off of cool weather has also prolonged the flowering of Hepaticas Leena; so all in all, not too bad comparing with other years.

There are two young plants nearby Herman. The lobes are a bit too pointy, I will wait to see if they start spreading and if not, I shall change the label. The pictures with the transsilvanica shown by Kris are not really typical of the species, habit growing wise.

I looked for H. transsilvanica pictures from the wild for comparison. The first two images were taken in Râșnov,  Brașov county (Romania).

This one is from Tâmpa Mountain, Brașov.

Gabriela, when those transsilvanicas were in flower that must have been impressive!
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #582 on: May 05, 2021, 08:09:18 AM »
Some more leaves:

Hepatica transsilvanica ‘Alba’

Hepatica transsilvanica 'Karpatenkrone'

Hepatica transsilvanica ‘Rosea’

Hepatica transsilvanica 'Loddon Blue'
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:12:04 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #583 on: May 05, 2021, 08:13:11 AM »
Hepatica transsilvanica 'Sternenglanz'

Hepatica transsilvanica 'Winterfreude'
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #584 on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »
I have just looked up about Hepatica transsilvanica 'Blue Eyes' it is a selection from the Netherlands, by Kees Huisman from the
old variety H. transsilvanica ’deBuis’, light blue with a darker center. 'Blue Eyes' is probably fertile.
H. transsilvanica 'deBuis' (selection, original from 1930, also under the name 'De Buis') is fertile, sometimes they talk about 'deBuis-strain' (or 'De Buis Strain'), seed raised plants from 'deBuis'.
H. x media 'Buis' is a crossing and sterile.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:09:53 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal