We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78218 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »
Lovely Hepaticas Lena
I think the Hepatica you got from Stockholm is what is known as Elison Spences but it can actually be more than one clone that looks like that.
The photos from internet on ES give a bit mixed sight and from my memories from last year when mine flowered it change colour and shape quite a bit so if your friend has it in slightly different conditions it may look different between the plants.

I got surprised last year when I saw the darker colour that ES has initially. It tends to fade to the more common paler transsylvanica blue.
ES seem to grow quite well as it is in trade here in Sweden but I see nothing different that looks similar, but if your plant is a bit slower to grow then it might be rare and not for sale as often or even at wrong name as ES.

A nice plant is a nice plant regardless of name I say :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:21:09 PM by Joakim B »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2021, 03:18:53 PM »
I see some trace of life in the pots I have sown hepatica seeds but I am not sure what it is

I also wonder if my Hepatica transsylvanica is placed too deep as it is later than my nobilis and I see no "bud" just the foliage poking up through the ground.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #527 on: April 25, 2021, 03:06:29 AM »
Gabriela, so if the connective is pink but the leaves look like the one from americana. Should I conclude that another nobilis is involved? Or is a pink H. americana different.
I am jumping in late here, but I agree that the pink connectives imply a crossing with nobilis (or at least not a pure H. americana). The connectives in pure americana should be white or greenish/yellowish. I have received seeds of several plants purported to be pink americana, but all the resulting flowers ended up with these pink connectives which mean that they are likely from hybrid plants. The problem is that these plants are becoming more common in the trade listed as americana, and the fact that the foliage is very similar makes them hard to identify without seeing the flower.
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2021, 07:44:33 AM »
I am jumping in late here, but I agree that the pink connectives imply a crossing with nobilis (or at least not a pure H. americana). The connectives in pure americana should be white or greenish/yellowish. I have received seeds of several plants purported to be pink americana, but all the resulting flowers ended up with these pink connectives which mean that they are likely from hybrid plants. The problem is that these plants are becoming more common in the trade listed as americana, and the fact that the foliage is very similar makes them hard to identify without seeing the flower.
Thank you Peppa!
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2021, 08:23:04 AM »
Leena, your Hepatica's are nicely upright!

Thank you Herman. I didn't think they could be otherwise. :)

Lovely Hepaticas Lena
I think the Hepatica you got from Stockholm is what is known as Elison Spences but it can actually be more than one clone that looks like that.
The photos from internet on ES give a bit mixed sight and from my memories from last year when mine flowered it change colour and shape quite a bit so if your friend has it in slightly different conditions it may look different between the plants.

I got surprised last year when I saw the darker colour that ES has initially. It tends to fade to the more common paler transsylvanica blue.
ES seem to grow quite well as it is in trade here in Sweden but I see nothing different that looks similar, but if your plant is a bit slower to grow then it might be rare and not sore sale as often or even as wrong name as ES.

A nice plant is a nice plant regardless of name I say :)

Thank you Joakim, you maybe right and you know what has been for sale in Sweden. :)

Your seedlings are Hepaticas, congratulations.
Leena from south of Finland

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
Leena you better get a ES too to confirm it :)

There are plants like Konny Greenfield that looks very similar to ES but I have not seen it for sale in Sweden.
I am not an expert on all the hepaticas sold in Sweden so for sure there might be special ones available sometimes looking similar too ES.

Thanks for confirming that what is growing is some Hepatica seedlings. Nice to have them on the way :)
There have been good seed sets on some plants but snow and hail has ended the season for the plants in pots but the ones in the garden are still blooming. So I will soon start to put collectors to make sure the ants do not steal my seeds

Just a question to the pink americana discussion
Could the pink colour also influence the colour of the connectives?
Anyone claiming to have pink americanas coming from the wild?

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2021, 08:12:04 PM »
I see some trace of life in the pots I have sown hepatica seeds but I am not sure what it is

I also wonder if my Hepatica transsylvanica is placed too deep as it is later than my nobilis and I see no "bud" just the foliage poking up through the ground.

Yes Joakim, next year you will have Hepatica seedlings to transplant.
It is possible you planted H. t. too deep, it happens. You can use a small digging tool to lift it up a bit, without removing it from the ground.

Re H. americana - the flower color has nothing to do with that of the connectives.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2021, 10:59:54 PM »
Thanks for the input Gabriela!
Any advice on the seedlings?
It has southern exposure.
At the moment it gets afternoon sun the rest of the day it is shaded by a hedge.
Does it need more shade?

I will try to lift the transsylvanicas carefully

Thanks for the clarification on the pink americanas

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #533 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
Thanks for the input Gabriela!
Any advice on the seedlings?
It has southern exposure.
At the moment it gets afternoon sun the rest of the day it is shaded by a hedge.
Does it need more shade?

I will try to lift the transsylvanicas carefully

Thanks for the clarification on the pink americanas
Joakim, I would give the seedlings the morning sun or the late afternoon, sunburn damage happens quickly.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #534 on: April 26, 2021, 06:48:07 PM »
Joakim - like Herman said, prepare a space with only morning sun for the seedlings; in early spring is not that bad but as we advanced towards the summer the sun becomes
too strong for them.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Carsten

« Reply #535 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
Hepatica nobilis is still in flower in the mountains. And what a find!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:58:57 PM by Carsten »
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

mellifera

« Reply #536 on: April 28, 2021, 08:23:46 PM »
Carsten, congratulation!!  :o

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #537 on: April 28, 2021, 08:29:34 PM »
Wow Carsten, this are real treasures! Congratulations on your new finds.
Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #538 on: April 28, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
Nice findlings! Congratulation to them and to a nice trip(s)

Did You see both on the same trip in the same area? There seem to be at least more single white and blue there so a very nice area to visit.

Do the blue double have a white eye or is it an illusion on the photo? Interesting to see how the foliage will look like later if you will have the chance to share it too

Interesting to see anemone nemorosa and hepatica nobilis in the same place at the same time. Here nemorosa starts when nobilis is almost over and for sure quite far in foliage. Or is it blue nemorosa?

Thanks for sharing

Gunilla

« Reply #539 on: April 28, 2021, 10:40:17 PM »

Congratulation Carsten, I can't believe your luck. You found a double white and a very nice one as well. OK, the others are lovely too, but a double white....wow!
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal