We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78284 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »
"Gorgeous John, why do you keep it in pots?"

Gabriela - One of the hazards of visiing gardner friends in BC in late January.  You come home with potted material already in growth, not suitable for planting here till April.  We'll propagate this one and then plant it out next year.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

kris

« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2021, 01:58:07 AM »
Nice Hepatica pictures Every one.
Here is one Hepatica acutiloba with very dark flower. Gabriela do you come across this colour in nature? The Picture is from my friends garden. The leaf is pretty too. I have a seedling with similar colour flower but plain leaf.

The Hepatica nobilis #75 is from Gunhild Poulsons seed. Very intense pink flower and a short plant.

3rd is the Hepatica acutiloba pale pink colour.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

mellifera

« Reply #512 on: April 22, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »
I got a small piece of this H.transsylvanica two years ago from a friend who had bought it 15 years ago from Stockholm botaniska garden without any other name.
It is very nice. It may be a nameless seedling, but has anyone seen a H.trannsylvanica like this?
Very beautiful Leena!! A special treasure. It reminds me of 'Elison Spencer'.
I think it exsist one full filled transsylvanica. The name is 'Barbarossa'. I have this plant, but it hasn`t flowered untill now.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
I understand now. Regarding this H. americana 'Rosea' - I didn't want to say anything, but I always thought it is a hybrid (and I've seen others people pictures with it).
Being on the market already I'm sure the name won't be changed.
I don't think someone can distinguish H. americana from H. nobilis after the foliage, it is a character allowing for a lot of variation in size/shape/hairness.

Here's one more close-up with a H. americana flower
Thank you Gabriela. I will change the name in Hepatica nobilis 'Rosea' for the future. So I need to look after the real Hepatica americana 'Rosea'.
The same confusion is sometimes with Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica there the connective should be white till yellow. There are also H. nobilis with beautiful marbled leaves but then with pink connective, which have been given the name pyrenaica.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #514 on: April 22, 2021, 09:23:11 AM »
I got a small piece of this H.transsylvanica two years ago from a friend who had bought it 15 years ago from Stockholm botaniska garden without any other name.
It is very nice. It may be a nameless seedling, but has anyone seen a H.trannsylvanica like this?
Leena, beautiful H. transsilvanica. Is it originally found in the wild? If you can ever divide it I am surely interested.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #515 on: April 22, 2021, 09:24:55 AM »
Here is one Hepatica acutiloba with very dark flower. Gabriela do you come across this colour in nature? The Picture is from my friends garden. The leaf is pretty too. I have a seedling with similar colour flower but plain leaf.

The Hepatica nobilis #75 is from Gunhild Poulsons seed. Very intense pink flower and a short plant.

Kris, thanks for showing your beautiful Hepatica's.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2021, 01:02:24 AM »

What a beauty Leena!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »
"Gorgeous John, why do you keep it in pots?"

Gabriela - One of the hazards of visiing gardner friends in BC in late January.  You come home with potted material already in growth, not suitable for planting here till April.  We'll propagate this one and then plant it out next year.
john

Makes sense John. It is not much that can be obtained by dividing one small Hepatica; you can also sow the seeds, who knows what nice surprises await.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2021, 01:10:26 AM »

Very nice plants Kris. I did show at the beginning of our season a purple H. acutiloba - a single flower from a young plant. Even blue H. acutiloba are very rare in my region.
I would like to see how the new foliage looks on your specimen; the old leaves don't show very well the acute ends of the lobes.

Many H. acutiloba (just like H. americama) show marbled foliage in late fall/spring but the new foliage is green afterwards. Young  seedlings/plants don't show  this feature right away.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2021, 01:14:53 AM »
Thank you Gabriela. I will change the name in Hepatica nobilis 'Rosea' for the future. So I need to look after the real Hepatica americana 'Rosea'.
The same confusion is sometimes with Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica there the connective should be white till yellow. There are also H. nobilis with beautiful marbled leaves but then with pink connective, which have been given the name pyrenaica.

I suppose there are many missnamed forms of Hepatica Herman. Understandable considering that H. americana, nobilis and nobilis var. japonica are so look-alike.

I am still yet to find a true pink H. americana; there are pink blushed, or pink/white striped here. A pity that other members from US and Canada don't post more picture
with the native species from their regions.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2021, 02:10:52 AM »
Look what I spied in the lawn today.  I have lots of flowers seeded into the grass, but I never would have expected this in the sunny part of the lawn.  Except now that I think about, there was a small anthill there at one time.  ;D

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #521 on: April 24, 2021, 07:17:10 AM »
Very beautiful Leena!! A special treasure. It reminds me of 'Elison Spencer'.
I think it exsist one full filled transsylvanica. The name is 'Barbarossa'. I have this plant, but it hasn`t flowered untill now.

Thank you Patrick. :) The person from whom I got the plant has also ES, and she says they are close but not the same. I don't have ES, so I can't say for myself, and now is the first time this plant is flowering for me. I didn't know how special this is is until I saw it in flower this spring, it really is beautiful.

Leena, beautiful H. transsilvanica. Is it originally found in the wild? If you can ever divide it I am surely interested.

Herman, I don't know anything other from it's origin, but probably not from the wild, because it was bought from Sweden though from a Bergianska botanical garden sale).
It seems to be slow to increase (a small piece I got took two years to flower), but when it grows for some more years I will try to divide it (also to have it growing in two places in case something happens to it in one spot):).
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »
Look what I spied in the lawn today.  I have lots of flowers seeded into the grass, but I never would have expected this in the sunny part of the lawn.  Except now that I think about, there was a small anthill there at one time.  ;D

This is the best, to find self sown seedlings in surprising places, and it is what I hope will happen also here in time. :)

Leena

« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2021, 07:21:36 AM »
Some pictures of my few double H.nobilis.
'Rubra Plena', 'Rote Glut' and Mussel (with two dots above u, but I don't know how to make them with my computer).

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2021, 09:16:32 AM »
Leena, your Hepatica's are nicely upright!
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal