We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78260 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #495 on: April 19, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »
Herman - the color for the connective in H. americana I would say is in shades of greenish/whitish, most of the time. In any case, not other colors.
Maybe you can see it this americana 'baby' from my garden.
Gabriela, so if the connective is pink but the leaves look like the one from americana. Should I conclude that another nobilis is involved? Or is a pink H. americana different.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #496 on: April 19, 2021, 06:29:58 PM »
Leena, you should make an effort for handpollination!

I know  :), but I am rubbish at pollinating so I have given it up. I have tried it with peonies with zero results (with known fertile plants), and they are big plants with which it should be much easier to see when they are ready to accept pollen than with smaller plants, so for me it is just better to enjoy the plants and let bees do pollinating and then sow seeds and hope for the best:).
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #497 on: April 20, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Alba', grown from seeds and a nice clump (there may be more than one seedling in this, I should divide it).
More pictures of H.americana from Gabriela's seeds, first a better picture of the white one.
What I love in these blue H.americana is that there seems to be a paler rim to the flowers, picotee-like, which I have never seen in our native hepaticas.
The last picture is 'Bavarian Blue' planted last spring, doing well.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #498 on: April 20, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
Leena, very nice Hepatica’s. Big clumps are always more beautiful.
Belgium

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #499 on: April 20, 2021, 11:14:29 PM »
A cross by former Haligonian Joe Harvey, it certainly is floriferous for a youngster. Tge cross is H. nobilis dark blue x nobilis good pink.

johnw
15c @ 7:14 AST
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #500 on: April 20, 2021, 11:15:44 PM »
My most floriferous H. americana, the most advanced in the yard and ready to pop with some sun, I'd say.  (Wild acutiloba ones are only buds.)  This one is from Minnesota/Ontario border wild seed.  A rabbit ate most of the foliage.

Interesting Rick. In this part of Ontario usually H . acutiloba flowers about one week earlier than H. americana (most years).
The rabbits may also eat the flowers after they get the taste for Hepaticas :(
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #501 on: April 20, 2021, 11:17:27 PM »
A cross by former Haligonian Joe Harvey, it certainly is floriferous for a youngster. Tge cross is H. nobilis dark blue x nobilis good pink.
johnw
15c @ 7:14 AST

Gorgeous John, why do you keep it in pots?
15C ! I envy you, we are getting ready for the snow here.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #502 on: April 20, 2021, 11:20:12 PM »
Gabriela, so if the connective is pink but the leaves look like the one from americana. Should I conclude that another nobilis is involved? Or is a pink H. americana different.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say Herman.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #503 on: April 20, 2021, 11:25:33 PM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Alba', grown from seeds and a nice clump (there may be more than one seedling in this, I should divide it).
More pictures of H.americana from Gabriela's seeds, first a better picture of the white one.
What I love in these blue H.americana is that there seems to be a paler rim to the flowers, picotee-like, which I have never seen in our native hepaticas.
The last picture is 'Bavarian Blue' planted last spring, doing well.

All beautiful Leena :)
The picotee blue should be from what I call H. americana #1. I collected seeds from it from the beginning and I describe it the same.There are other smaller plants in the area with the same feature but I like to collect from individual clumps (when possible).
It is indeed a very nice feature, especially for the blue flowered plants.

Few last pictures probably, at least from the wild, some flowers are already fading plus that we'll have winter-like weather till Friday.
The one I call H. americana bicolor, toward the end of flowering

A young cutie.

Problems with uploading, may try later.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:19:26 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2021, 02:16:41 AM »
Interesting Rick. In this part of Ontario usually H . acutiloba flowers about one week earlier than H. americana (most years).
this H. americana  in the yard is quite exposed under a Picea asperata, and where the snow melts quite early.  I am pretty sure it is blooming earlier than in the forests here.  H. acutiloba is much more common this far south, and there aren't any americana nearby that I could check.  But I think your observation would hold true down here, too.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #505 on: April 21, 2021, 07:46:02 AM »
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say Herman.
Gabriela, The Hepatica's I have with the name Hepatica americana 'Rosea', there the connectives are pink, but the leaves look like Hepatica americana. So I wonder if it is indeed americana or it is a crossing with nobilis.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #506 on: April 21, 2021, 06:23:50 PM »
this H. americana  in the yard is quite exposed under a Picea asperata, and where the snow melts quite early.  I am pretty sure it is blooming earlier than in the forests here.  H. acutiloba is much more common this far south, and there aren't any americana nearby that I could check.  But I think your observation would hold true down here, too.

True that more sun exposure makes a big difference. I actually moved one H. americana which would start to flower unusual early because of too much sun (a nearby Carya provides shade later but it takes its time to leaf out in the spring).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #507 on: April 21, 2021, 06:28:46 PM »
Gabriela, The Hepatica's I have with the name Hepatica americana 'Rosea', there the connectives are pink, but the leaves look like Hepatica americana. So I wonder if it is indeed americana or it is a crossing with nobilis.

I understand now. Regarding this H. americana 'Rosea' - I didn't want to say anything, but I always thought it is a hybrid (and I've seen others people pictures with it).
Being on the market already I'm sure the name won't be changed.
I don't think someone can distinguish H. americana from H. nobilis after the foliage, it is a character allowing for a lot of variation in size/shape/hairness.

Here's one more close-up with a H. americana flower

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #508 on: April 21, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
The picotee blue should be from what I call H. americana #1. I collected seeds from it from the beginning and I describe it the same.There are other smaller plants in the area with the same feature but I like to collect from individual clumps (when possible).
It is indeed a very nice feature, especially for the blue flowered plants.

Thank you Gabriela, they are very nice!

Leena

« Reply #509 on: April 21, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
I got a small piece of this H.transsylvanica two years ago from a friend who had bought it 15 years ago from Stockholm botaniska garden without any other name.
It is very nice. It may be a nameless seedling, but has anyone seen a H.trannsylvanica like this?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal