We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78224 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #465 on: April 17, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
There are some native H.nobilis growing in our property, these are blue or pink, but no doubles (nor have I yet found any double here in the forest), but some may have some extra petals.
Pinks fade to almost white in some plants, while some are stronger pink.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2021, 08:17:19 AM »
I have grown H.nobilis 'Selma' from Dryad bulb seeds, and they are very nice. They now grow close to other H.nobilis and I was wondering if they come true from seeds when bees do the pollinating?
Blue native H.nobilis and a pink one which starts flowering with stronger colour and fades to almost white. Leaves have turned very dark in the spring because of frosts maybe. New leaves are normal green.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
Gorgeous H. nobilis from Ukraine!

All H. americana from my region are quite 'hairy' :) Herman. They are more noticeable when the plants are wet I suppose.

'Louise Koehler' is such a beauty! So interesting to see that it flowers after the new foliage has grown. All others H. acutiloba are flowering before the new foliage appears.
Gabriela, 'Louise Koehler' is also always flowering later than my other acutiloba's.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
I have grown H.nobilis 'Selma' from Dryad bulb seeds, and they are very nice. They now grow close to other H.nobilis and I was wondering if they come true from seeds when bees do the pollinating?
Blue native H.nobilis and a pink one which starts flowering with stronger colour and fades to almost white. Leaves have turned very dark in the spring because of frosts maybe. New leaves are normal green.

Leena nice pictures of Hepatica!

Leena, when you see all the pictures from 'Selma' than there is a difference in color. But what is the reason: seed raised or the light when taking the picture. I know that H. nobilis 'Rubra' in our garden is self sowing and it is always the same color.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
Herman, you are right that there is a difference if a picture is taken in sun or in shade. My 'Selma' are all the same salmon kind of colour, different than our native pinks.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2021, 05:40:39 PM »
Nice mix of colours and all native Lena? Or have the ants carried the seeds from Your garden? Do you scatter the seeds from these wild plants to spread more than the ants do?

We have only blue and lavender growing native here and from our garden in the cottage, it is following ants to the overgrown meadows that has become a forest, all with similar blue colours. The ants also spread it around in the garden :) At least in the cottage house that is a bit wild. In the part of the woods I have seen here in Scania it is all blue hepaticas, but I know of other places that has more colours and doubles are named from there. Never seen pink or whites in the forests only shades of blue and lavender and some with a bit more petals but not really multipetala.

In my own garden there are ants but so far not seen any plants spreading to the hedges around here, but time will tell. Only had them here for a year or so. Might even scatter some seeds in the hedges here as it is a native plant :)

Lena regarding Selma I think that the Salmon/ apricot is the special with Selma and it seems fairly similar in colour. To me there is a bit yellow in the pink to get that colour and last year I was sure it had a tint of yellow to it, but this year I am not so sure. So like Herman says there might be a bit of variation of the colours even if they still are quite unique and standing out from other pinks. On pictures it even more difficult to say.
Got it from same source as You but as a plant.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:05 PM »
H.americana from your seeds has started to flower also here.  :) They have much shorter flower stems than my native H.nobilis, I remember this was also last year. Flowers are different shade of blue and very nice.
Is it typical of them to be shorter plants than H.nobilis? Short flower stems make taking pictures very difficult, and then there is sun to consider of flowers are looking in the wrong way or something else to make taking pictures difficult.

Glad to hear Leena :) I only have very few nobilis in my garden and they don't seem taller than most americana plants. There is variation in the wild but I wouldn't say that most are very small.
Young plants often may look a bit smaller before they clump up. I noticed it with all species I grew from seeds.

There are some native H.nobilis growing in our property, these are blue or pink, but no doubles (nor have I yet found any double here in the forest), but some may have some extra petals.
Pinks fade to almost white in some plants, while some are stronger pink.

The look in a natural setting is very appealing :) Same goes for americana, no doubles, on rare occasions extra petals and also the pinks may fade to almost white (on few occasions even blues can fade to lighter colors or vary depending on the temp.).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2021, 06:11:44 PM »
Few H. americana from SW Ontario woods.

A seedling from a different location; most often they like to establish in moss covered boulders (where possible).

Trying again (it seems that problems with uploading still persist; maybe also a reason some people give up on posting?)

The seedling:

And some pictures were repeated now  :-\
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:16:40 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2021, 08:55:28 PM »
Wow Gabriela!
Never seen a hepatica on top of a boulder.
I have Seen them by the stems of trees and one in a tree stump but never on boulders. Is it high moisture there in summers to have moss or how does it survive the summers?

Lovely photos and nice with the blue and white one(s)- together

Also very nice foliage on some of them. A bit like the nobilis pyrinecia strain?

Seems some of my plants also will get nice foliage, at least on the newly developed foliage.
I will share when they are open. Getting more and more happy with my buying of the nobilis.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Leena

« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2021, 07:22:54 AM »
Nice mix of colours and all native Lena? Or have the ants carried the seeds from Your garden? Do you scatter the seeds from these wild plants to spread more than the ants do?

These were all native and grown at that spot at least for 20 years, but deer like to eat them so they have never gotten a chance to build up more. Always some have managed to set seeds and spread that way. Two years ago we put up a fence around the garden and part of those native Hepaticas are now inside the fence and thus safe from deer. :)
Ants have done the seed sowing.

Gabriela, very nice H.americana in the wild! And they don't seem short-stemmed, my plants are maybe just too young.
Here are couple of pictures of them, these are all from your seeds. I especially like the blue ones, and it seems to be a different shade of blue than in my native H.nobilis.
One is almost white, just a hint of pink in the flower.

Leena

« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2021, 07:30:57 AM »
The first one is a native H.nobilis, with long and narrow petals.
The second plant I have bought from Gunhild Poulsen in 2018, it is a seedling Hepatica nobilis 106N x Ederka 91N, so it has double genes in it. It's flowers are the usual blue, but nice shape and bigger than my native plants. Almost as big flowers as in H. x schlyteri.
Then one nice H.pubescens ex 'Hohobeni' and the last one is H.japonica 'Shirayuki', both growing really well. :)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2021, 08:38:03 AM »
Few H. americana from SW Ontario woods.
seedling from a different location; most often they like to establish in moss covered boulders (where possible).

Trying again (it seems that problems with uploading still persist; maybe also a reason some people give up on posting?)
Gabriela, beautiful pictures! I wonder if there is a difference in the flower between nobilis and americana. The connection in nobilis between the filament and anther is mostly between pink and red. On Leena's pictures they seem to be more yellow for americana. On your pictures I don't know what the color is.
Gabriela, it is a pity that you never find any double.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2021, 08:44:06 AM »
The first one is a native H.nobilis, with long and narrow petals.
The second plant I have bought from Gunhild Poulsen in 2018, it is a seedling Hepatica nobilis 106N x Ederka 91N, so it has double genes in it. It's flowers are the usual blue, but nice shape and bigger than my native plants. Almost as big flowers as in H. x schlyteri.
Then one nice H.pubescens ex 'Hohobeni' and the last one is H.japonica 'Shirayuki', both growing really well. :)
Leena, have you had already sown seeds from your Hepatica nobilis 106N x Ederka 91N? Normally double genes should come back.
Your ex Hohobeni is indeed very nice, the color is very striking.
Belgium

kris

« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2021, 03:46:07 PM »
Beautiful hepaticas Leena and Gabriela. More hepaticas have started flowering. The native ones are still in bud. Some pictures from the garden
Hepatica nobilis alba
Hepatica nobilis pink
Hepatica nobilis rubra plena
Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica
Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:45 PM »
I have a Hepatica which I lost label. It looks like the  special blue one shown by Leena got from Gunhild Poulson.
Mine has only six petals instead of seven as in her hepatica
I also got seeds from Gunhild Poulson some years ago.
Here is the picture attached
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal