We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 79842 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »
We spend a a in the summer house
A bit behind us as it is a bit north and many hepaticas in shade
My mother had mentioned a pink/lavender one that was growing below a conoe in the middle of the lawn.

Ohelia from Anne much nicer this year. But she is not able to deliver to European Union so an other victim for the Brexit

Here is a 3 days picture of my heps from Händel. Since then a more red/pink has flowered. He got my business so a winner of Brexit :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:28:34 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2021, 12:39:27 PM »
Joakim, Ohelia is a nice dark colour, I like it very much:). It is so interesting to observe different shapes and colours of Hepaticas.
Leena from south of Finland

kris

« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2021, 11:51:38 PM »
We spend a a in the summer house
A bit behind us as it is a bit north and many hepaticas in shade
My mother had mentioned a pink/lavender one that was growing below a conoe in the middle of the lawn.
(Attachment Link)

Ohelia from Anne much nicer this year. But she is not able to deliver to European Union so an other victim for the Brexit
(Attachment Link)

Here is a 3 days picture of my heps from Händel. Since then a more red/pink has flowered. He got my business so a winner of Brexit :)
(Attachment Link)

You are lucky to get many different Hepaticas in Europe. 
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

hwscot

« Reply #438 on: April 08, 2021, 02:55:50 PM »
excuse the late  post, catching up on forum after long absence .. these photos are from late March this year.

I tried some H. nobilis in a large copper pot .. must be about 10 years since I planted this up. The pot is about 60cm diameter and maybe 25cm deep. So long ago that I can't recall much about the mix beyond a large proportion of perlite.

Started with three plants, two have flourished and are covered in flower every year. One has survived but never really grown, and there are now quite a few self-sown. The other plants that seem to thrive together with the hepaticas are L. vernum and a few autumn crocus (pulchellus or speciosus).

With the configuration of the garden, the pot gets two slices of direct sun (when we get sun) .. early morning, and again about midday (as the sun moves round the house). There is some shade in the summer from birches nearby, and a large cherry and a rowan, once they're leafed up, block some of the midday / early afternoon sun.
Harry
Montrose
You can take the lad out of Leeds, but you can't ..

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #439 on: April 08, 2021, 05:37:15 PM »
Nice planting Harry :)

Thanks to Maggi that fixed my picture so the post was readable :-*

Lena I like the tone of reddish in ohelia so that is almost purple
I did try to compare it to two other ones that is also dark and the darkest is the one from the summerhouse but it mostly have blue tones.
I have also moved the Hepatica transylvanica supernova from Händel there to compare. Nice colour on the this one
I added the blue can as comparison. In real life more purple tones an all but only Ohelia is purple.

I did try to capture the reddish tones on a Hepatica nobilis pyrineica from Annie with a Hepatica nobilis from Händel and difficult to show the redness even with the red mark on blue can as reference.

Nice markings on the pyrineica even on the old foliage. Also a lot bigger flowers on that one.

They all seem to get good noncontrolled seed sets :)

Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

kris

« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2021, 06:55:55 PM »
I don't have any greenhouse and Hepaticas only in the garden. The weather is better now and they started blooming in the garden.
H. nobilis var. pyrenaica
H. transsilvanica "Schwanensee"
H. transsilvanica ”Blue”
H. transsilvanica alba
Hepatica nobilis
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #441 on: April 08, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »
more pictures
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #442 on: April 08, 2021, 07:09:23 PM »
Two more
H. transsilvanica “Elison Spencer”
H. transsilvanica narrow petal
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #443 on: April 08, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »
Great Hepatica's, Kris! They are flowering very well.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #444 on: April 09, 2021, 07:15:40 AM »
Kris, super Hepaticas! How fast spring has advanced over there. Here it is still snowdrop, Eranthis and early crocus season, with only the earliest H.pubescens flowering. No H.nobilis or any Corydalis flowering yet.

kris

« Reply #445 on: April 09, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »
Thanks Herman and Leena.
It is strange that in the garden some are flowering way early. But more than half are still dormant.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #446 on: April 09, 2021, 06:16:08 PM »
Two more
H. transsilvanica “Elison Spencer”
H. transsilvanica narrow petal

What a joy to see them flowering Kris! Interesting how you caught up with us here in Ontario in such a short time.
H. transsilvanica is only now at full flowering :) (it seems my seedlings came from the one you call 'narrow petals' - I like it a lot because it has colored anthers/filaments).

H. acutiloba is also starting to flower but no good pictures yet.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2021, 07:31:17 PM »
As a result of the very warm weather, H. acutiloba is flowering on the same time with H. americana this year. Weather has returned to more seasonal temp. now and is raining hard.
Few pictures with H. acutiloba from the garden of last week.

H. acutiloba fo. rosea in various shades

And one I have named H. acutiloba 'Pearl'

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
Very nice and a lot of flowers, Gabriela!

Here Hepaticas are slowly opening more, but still only H.pubescens is fully flowering. They have clumped up nicely (two are not doing so well, others are very good). I am so glad it has survived so well here (now for two winters). H.nobilis is almost opening in sunny spots and H.japonica shows colour.
Pictures of two of my H.japonica ex Hohobeni plants today  :): Thank you Carsten!

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2021, 10:32:13 PM »
Gabriela and Leena, nice Hepatica's!
Beautiful flowers, here the Hepatica season is almost gone, seeds are growing and will soon be ready for sowing.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal