We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78223 times)

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2021, 07:48:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Peppa, very beautiful acutiloba. Here there is not so much variation in the colours. Hopefully you get a lot of seed of them.

I see many color variations of H. acutiloba in natural habitats in some areas but I rarely see any color variations offered in the nursery trade. Most of the plants I see at nurseries are whitish flowers with six sepals or so; it is very uncommon to see mid-deep colors or multi-sepaled forms even in the US.

It seems true that hybrids of H. acutiloba can produce maiden flowers, although maiden forms of pure H. acutiloba are rare and I only have two examples. However, putting pollen of other species on H. acutiloba can often create maiden form offspring. Here is a beautiful example of H. acutiloba x H. nobilis var. pyrenaica created by Rick Lupp from our local NARGS chapter Hepatica study group meeting several years ago. He said this cross he made produced all similar flowers.
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2021, 08:13:10 PM »

I see many color variations of H. acutiloba in natural habitats in some areas but I rarely see any color variations offered in the nursery trade. Most of the plants I see at nurseries are whitish flowers with six sepals or so; it is very uncommon to see mid-deep colors or multi-sepaled forms even in the US.

It seems true that hybrids of H. acutiloba can produce maiden flowers, although maiden forms of pure H. acutiloba are rare and I only have two examples. However, putting pollen of other species on H. acutiloba can often create maiden form offspring. Here is a beautiful example of H. acutiloba x H. nobilis var. pyrenaica created by Rick Lupp from our local NARGS chapter Hepatica study group meeting several years ago. He said this cross he made produced all similar flowers.
Peppa, it is a beautiful hybrid with pyrenaica! I like the upstanding flowers very much. If you have a large group of these, that must be impressive!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:19:23 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2021, 08:19:54 PM »
More Hepatica acutiloba (sharp-lobed Hepatica) seedlings have started to bloom. It is interesting to see the differences in the stamens between the two flowers. The bottom flower has more typical stamens.

They are so very beautiful Peppa! I cannot wait to see them flowering here. There are few multipetals forms around, but none on the blue shade.

This is an outstanding hybrid! I see H. acutiloba like a good parent for many crosses.
Regarding maiden flowers, I agree with you - pure maiden forms are most likely rare. I never found one although I've been actively looking. There is one specimen which I suspect of having sterile/defect anthers on the account that it forms very few seeds or not at all every year.

So, I am afraid that the affirmation from the article that "H. acutiloba has a tendency to produce maiden flowers' is completely wrong.
(H. americana is more inclined to produce maiden flowers).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:22:03 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2021, 10:07:20 PM »
Here the cold has left the flowers in the ground but with the rain the latest days the ground is nolonger frozen.
Luckely I ordered plants from Andeas Händel (mr Hepatica) and they arrived
One was in flower the rest with buds.
They got a lof of beating in the transport but I will look more carefully at the tomorrow and add soil where needed
I added the flowering Hepatica transylvanica and the box of joy. 10 mixed nobilis and 10 mixed transylvanica. small plants but with flowers. Will be interesting to see also the foliage.
I also got Supernova and Weinreich weisse both transylvanica.
Will be interesting to see what fun things it will be
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Roma

« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2021, 10:52:21 PM »
They look interesting, Joakim.  Hope they are all ok.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #305 on: March 12, 2021, 11:00:26 PM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Selma'.  Seed from Dryad nursery sown in June 2018. Not sure how many seeds I had but 18 plants were potted in April 2020.  These are the first flowers and all flowering so far are the same colour.

682467-0

Hepatica nobilis

682473-3

kris

« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2021, 11:58:33 PM »

The flowers are really really beautiful.Thanks for showing it Peppa
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2021, 10:03:38 AM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Selma'.

Such a pretty shade of pink! Lovely, Roma.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Roma

« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2021, 11:21:50 AM »
Plenty spares, Matt if you would like one (or a few).  I am missing shows where I could dispose of surplus plants.

mellifera

« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2021, 11:32:30 AM »
I like Hepatica nobilis 'Selma', Roma
Hepatica nobilis Alba Plena type 'Ireland'. Here you can see how big the flower is if you compare it with my fingers.

mellifera

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2021, 11:50:19 AM »
Hepatica henryi Alba Plena

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
Patrick, your Hepatica henry ‘Alba Plena’ is very beautiful! I find it very interesting.  :)
Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2021, 10:55:57 PM »
Hi Selma has tones of yellow / orange in the pink does it not?
That is what makes it stand out or have I missed it? It is difficult for me to see if the seedlings you got also have this yellow tone.
For sure they are nice looking!
And great that you got so many plants :)

On a separate questions.
How safe is it to have plants of nobilis and transylvanicas in pots when they are in bud and there will be temperatures a few degrees below zero (Celsius that is).
I was planning to leave the plants in the pots until they show colour on flower and foliage to determine where they will be planted.
The same goes for Cordyalis solida plants that I also have in a pot. The weather in Germany was a bit further ahead than the weather in southern Sweden. I know that Hepatica can be in pots if they have been there all time but a bit unsure about the difference in how far they are in my pots compared to how far they are in ground.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gabriela

« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2021, 02:02:59 PM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Selma'.  Seed from Dryad nursery sown in June 2018. Not sure how many seeds I had but 18 plants were potted in April 2020.  These are the first flowers and all flowering so far are the same colour.

A nice nobilis form Roma and plenty of pots to share! It becomes a problem indeed when growing from seeds.
I like the trough with Hepatica in all colors :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2021, 02:13:39 PM »

I didn't know there was a Plena for H. henry Mellifera. I only have the regular species.
I found the foliage to be most remarkable.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal