We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78228 times)

Gunilla

Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2021, 09:03:53 PM »
Gabriela, your pink multipetal is lovely. Like Carsten, I have never seen one in the wild. Actually not any cultivated either.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Carsten

« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »
Today it has been windy but rather mild, so some Hepaticas opend their flowers.
Hepatica nobilis 'Topaz Star' bud and fully opened
Hepatica nobilis bicoloured form
Hepatica nobilis 'Bavarian Blue' seedlings
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »
Carsten, once again beautiful plants! Topaz Star is really a star!
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #288 on: March 12, 2021, 01:01:29 AM »
Gabriela, your pink multipetal is lovely. Like Carsten, I have never seen one in the wild. Actually not any cultivated either.

Thank you Gunilla. It is interesting to hear about this. Although I lived part of my life in Eastern Europe, in my region the 'queen of the woods' was H. transsilvanica. I really don't remember about H. nobilis and I wouldn't take pictures at the time.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #289 on: March 12, 2021, 01:04:01 AM »

You manage such perfect pictures with the 'Topaz Star' Carsten!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

kris

« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2021, 01:37:42 AM »
All of them beautiful. I love particularly the  "Bavarian blue". Carsten  I transplanted your
" Bavarian blue "seedling last year into the regular bed. I hope it is alive under the snow.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2021, 06:22:58 AM »
'Topaz Star' is fabulous! I already admired it in February when you posted a picture of it, but this picture is so perfect:).
I like also bicoloured and 'Bavarian Blue', and hope to see mine flowering in next month. They are still under snow, which is good because this week the coldest night was -15C.
There is so much variation in H.nobilis in Europe.
Leena from south of Finland

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2021, 06:28:21 AM »
More Hepatica acutiloba (sharp-lobed Hepatica) seedlings have started to bloom. It is interesting to see the differences in the stamens between the two flowers. The bottom flower has more typical stamens.
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Gunilla

« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
'Topaz Star' is fabulous!

Carsten, I agree with Leena. 'Topaz Star' is very special. Beautiful colour and shape.

Gunilla

« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2021, 07:00:11 AM »
More Hepatica acutiloba (sharp-lobed Hepatica) seedlings have started to bloom. It is interesting to see the differences in the stamens between the two flowers. The bottom flower has more typical stamens.

Thanks for showing us. The first one has stamens like an explosion  :). I like it.

Carsten

« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2021, 07:28:02 AM »
Very nice forms! I like the pastel tints of acutiloba and the upright habit of the flowers.

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2021, 07:29:13 AM »
Carsten, I agree with Leena. 'Topaz Star' is very special. Beautiful colour and shape.
I agree, too! It's not only a beautiful color and shape, but the green stems make the flower stand out as well. Darker colored flower with green stems are rare in H. nobilis. Love it!
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2021, 07:55:13 AM »
Peppa, very beautiful acutiloba. Here there is not so much variation in the colours. Hopefully you get a lot of seed of them.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »
In November 2020 there was a discussion about Hepatica ‘Millstream Merlin’ or Hepatica x media ‘Millstream Merlin’.
Now I have found this article http://www.hazelwoodfarm.co.uk/HelpingHepaticas.pdf

Recent DNA research on the American species now shows them not to be related to H. nobilis, so it may now seem appropriate to drop the ‘× media’ designation. Indeed as H. acutiloba has a tendency to produce maiden flowers, it may well be that the parentage of H. ‘Millstream Merlin’ is H. acutiloba × H. transsilvanica. A maiden form of Hepatica acutiloba has been exhibited by Diane Clement at some of the AGS shows, and the resemblance between her plant’s flowers and those of ‘Millstream Merlin’ is very striking, so it could be the seed parent.
No one can doubt the H. transsilvanica pollen parentage regarding the foliage. Whatever the parentage, ‘Millstream Merlin’ received an A.M. when exhibited in 1989 by the late Kath Dryden.
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »
In November 2020 there was a discussion about Hepatica ‘Millstream Merlin’ or Hepatica x media ‘Millstream Merlin’.
Now I have found this article http://www.hazelwoodfarm.co.uk/HelpingHepaticas.pdf

Recent DNA research on the American species now shows them not to be related to H. nobilis, so it may now seem appropriate to drop the ‘× media’ designation. Indeed as H. acutiloba has a tendency to produce maiden flowers, it may well be that the parentage of H. ‘Millstream Merlin’ is H. acutiloba × H. transsilvanica. A maiden form of Hepatica acutiloba has been exhibited by Diane Clement at some of the AGS shows, and the resemblance between her plant’s flowers and those of ‘Millstream Merlin’ is very striking, so it could be the seed parent.
No one can doubt the H. transsilvanica pollen parentage regarding the foliage. Whatever the parentage, ‘Millstream Merlin’ received an A.M. when exhibited in 1989 by the late Kath Dryden.

Interesting article, Herman!  I thought it was quite obvious that this is a cross of acutiloba (nobilis var. acuta) x transsilvanica. The leaf veins of the plant remind me very much of acutiloba. 'Millstream Merlin' is really outstanding.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal