We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 4013 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: December in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 07:01:43 PM »

Trond- Still green and lively looking, even if the flowers are a little beat up!
Gabriela-- lots of green there too :) it was funny to see rain here the other day, hope we don't see it often, since even on warm days at this time of year, we don't get full melt, with nights always below freezing, days short and sun angle low, so that ice lingers in places- gravel roads and town roads have a lot of ice in places (highways are dry).
Catwheazle- nice shots-- frost on plants always looks great :)
Mariette- my winter fantasy is that I will have time for writing, painting, editing etc etc... but then there is wood to cut, snow to shovel..... Your winter is looking lovely so far :)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »
In 2005 i sown 2 pots full of Mandragora officinarum, i made some selections of interesting colors and throw away the others.
I also had the misfortune to plant 3 subjects in my garden...bad idea when last year i wanted to move them while they were suffocating other plants. My spade and my back remind very well the deep roots 70cm at least! Such as Crambe(i really enjoy) roots can become a nightmare to remove. This grow very well (i can garantee) in rich loamy soil. Those under glass are grown in 7l pots.
North of France

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
And did they scream when you dug them up Yann?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:31:46 PM by Catwheazle »
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:28 PM »
Very nice shots with frosted plants Catwheazle; we rarely get the proper conditions  for this kind of phenomenon.

I bet the whole neighborhood heard them Gail  :) :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »
No but me yeah :+) what a work to dig! Never plant that in your garden if one day you've the idea of changing pattern.
I broke a carbon spade!
North of France

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 11:23:20 AM »
Despite of the latest rainy period, we already had temp. down to -9C, and most plants are dormant by now. So, no flowers in December here

Also here no flowers. The past week it was below freezing, with no snow, but since yesterday it has rained and it is above freezing now, so ground started to unfreeze.
Paxistima canbyi seems like a very nice hardy plant, it was new to me and I had to google it:).

Two pictures from last week-end. In the first Epimedium ex 'Amber Queen' which has very nice leaves, and I have admired it all autumn.
In the second picture there is a Hepatica which I got as H.crenatiloba, and I even posted a picture of it's flowers as H.crenatiloba last spring when it flowered for the first time, but since then I have started to think that it was misnamed and it is H.transsylvanica or it's hybrid:(. Nice plant still. The grasses behind it are Luzula sylvatica 'Igel', which is my favourite. A compact plant which is evergreen so also adds to autumn, winter and spring garden.
Leena from south of Finland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
This is the most I can hope for colour around here for a while ;) (well, I could hope for several days of frost in a row, then it is much nicer, this is only one night of fog, making rime frost). Shots taken mostly within a few metres of the front door, last one from the driveway looking out.

678650-0

678652-1

678654-2

678656-3

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
some foliage and Cyclamen coum, already

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
Helloborus are ready for the new year, in the garden many are showing their stunning colors. I brought into the greenhouse severals pots to shoot them protected from the rain.

Helleborus orientalis subsp. abchasicus, 3 years old from Phedar seeds.

by the way i got an error 500 when uploading photo bigger than 1.5Mb, i guess the GD library used to resize produce the bug.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:34:27 PM by Yann »
North of France

Jeffnz

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 07:48:27 PM »
Yann, great shape and coloration sometimes I lament the fact that hybridus forms have taken over from certain helleborus species.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
very beautiful..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal