We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: scented campanulas  (Read 767 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
scented campanulas
« on: October 30, 2020, 01:59:54 AM »
I've just read that Campanula versicolor is clove-scented. Unfortunately my seeds were incorrectly named, and mine are really C primulifolia. (from the 2013 SRGC seedex)    I'll have to try again to grow versicolor.

I decided to look for more scented campanulas, and found one, Samantha, advertised as being scented.  It is lilac with a white centre.  I haven't been able to find what its parentage is.

Is anyone growing it, or any other scented ones?  I guess the only people who would know are the ones who carry potted plants in to shows.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:31:08 AM by Diane Whitehead »
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: scented campanulas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 11:33:00 PM »
I've discovered another scented one - Royal Wave which is patented and sterile so won't set seed.  I wonder if it has pollen.

I found its patent interesting but a bit confusing.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/51/cd/8e/b6e7f08d87df44/US20050283876P1.pdf

First it is listed as  Campanula portenschlagiana.

But then it is described as being derived from Samantha.

" Royal Wave is a tetraploid of Campanula Samantha, an unpatented, sterile hybrid whose parents probably were C.pseudoraineri x. C.carpatica. The tetraploidy was induced under laboratory conditions using colchicine on Stage I plants in tissue culture. Subsequent offspring were trialed and Campanula Royal Wave was selected from these."

Lewis and Lynch consider C. pseudoraineri to be a hybrid of raineri x carpatica ssp turbinata, so  Samantha and Royal Wave have quite a complex parentage.  I wonder where the scent comes from?

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: scented campanulas
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
I haven't grown C. versicolor but was just reading that "This species provides some of the nicest salad leaves that we have tried to date, it has an excellent potential as an edible ornamental in the garden". Sounds like a must-have!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal