We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gentiana depressa?  (Read 1179 times)

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
Gentiana depressa?
« on: August 07, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »
I sowed some Gentiana depressa that I received from the most recent seed exchange and got fairly good germination.  The seedlings are continuing to grow but I'm not convinced that what I've sown is in fact G. depressa.  Would anyone be able to give me whether in fact what I've got growing is G. depressa or if not what type of Gentiana I have?
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Gentiana depressa?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »
Hello Rob, nice  to hear  from you.  Sadly  I am sure that those  are  not  G. depressa seedlings -  depressa has  much more  compact, shapely foliage.  Can't  say what it  might  be  though - perhaps a septemfida  type?

I'll move  this  to the  Gentiana section- where  Gabriela is  more  likely  to see  it - she's  good  at gentians!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »
Yes, definitely not depressa - could well be septemfida, or maybe one of the coarser species like cruciata?

Sorry!  :(

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 07:05:03 PM »
You give me too much credit Maggi :)

Except that it is not depressa, it would be impossible to say just after the foliage what Gentiana is (or if it is a Gentiana). It could be anything from the Cruciata, or Pneumonanthe group or even something different. If there is a leftover seed then it could be at least placed in a certain group after the seed aspect.

Try to grow a few to flowering stage.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 12:31:10 AM »
I do plan on growing them to flowering size.  While they might not be appropriate for a trough or crevice garden they could possibly do well in a regular garden plot.  I'll send photos when they bloom.  Hopefully sooner than later.

GordonT

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
Several years ago, I also ordered Gentiana depressa seeds from both the SRGC and NARGS Seed exchanges, and got the same results... not G. depressa. The plants were most likely Gentiana cruciata. This has happened over multiple years, which is disheartening.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 04:09:32 PM »
Thanks for your feedback GordonT.  Yes it is very frustrating and am not sure how it happens.  I can see a few seeds getting mixed up when doing seed cleaning and not carefully removing all debris from the previous seed but to have all the seeds being mis-labelled repeatedly is a bit much.  Fortunately, almost all of the seed I have received over the years matches the name on the label.  We should be thankful for that.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal