We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: problem with meconopsis quintuplinervia  (Read 4515 times)

robsorchids

problem with meconopsis quintuplinervia
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
i was happy to see my pot grown single plant of meconopsis quintuplinervia had produced 3 offsets at the sides of the pot, but sadly the mother plant rotted of.

now the other 3 younger offsets are taking on a yellowing of the leaves, im not sure what it could be other than a nutrient defficiancy? but i have been feeding every month of so with dilute acidic fertilizer.

i also potted in a gritty/sandy acidic mix, its in mostly shade with its neighbour lingholm (which is doing better than i ever though possible in a pot)

perhaps i have been overfeeding? i dont want to lose these as i have yet to see the flowers!

any help appreciated

thanks
rob

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: problem with meconopsis quintuplinervia
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
Rob, you say the plant is pot grown - why? M. quintuplinervia is a spreading plant almost groundcover, and I can't see it in a pot.
Growing conditions in Essex are different to Moray but in our garden we grow this in partial shade in humus rich soil where it is forming a wide clump. Maybe the core plants are dying off and the offsets growing on - I have not observed this but it could be so. I would suggest that quintuplinervia does not suit pot culture and it would better released out into the wide open garden?
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:40:07 AM »
Rob,
I wouldn't worry. The plant is due for dying back at the moment, might be a bit early but it is normal. The offsets take over from the old flowering rossette that is why they are better outside as you can see they are already at the edge of the pot. If you have a careful look by tipping the pot up on to your hand/tray and  gently lifting the pot you should see white shoots going around the pot.

Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
Rob, I think the word you need  to describe this die-back is "herbaceous"  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:28:56 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »
I think it s more than just herbaceous, Maggie. We have an old established clump where old plants seem to die off completely and their position in the clump is immediatly colonised by offsets from outside, thus maintaining the integrity of the clump.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal