We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis May/June  (Read 16668 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Meconopsis May/June
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
I'd love to see some Meco's posted !
We can hardly grow them down here so please Northern forumists - post along - I'm sure you're growing thousands of them !!!!! ;D
Thanks ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Meconopsis May/June
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »
Luc, Is this enough Mecs. for you. All are Mec. X Lingholme growing for seed, some have huge flowers.
Also growing well alongside them are Primula seiboldii with an amazing range of colours and Primula pulverulenta
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
Brilliant Susan !  What a view !  You're trying to match Luit's tulipfields !  ;D

And then...  we try to grow just one ... only to watch it dwindle... and finally disappear for whatever reason... to wet... to dry... to warm...   ::)

Thanks anyway for letting us taste !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »
What an amazing sight Susan. I'll bet all your neighbours just LOVE you. :D
How do you sell all these? Are they just lifted from the ground then wrapped?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
Lesley,
All the mecs and primulas are grown for seed, I collect it and send it to a German seed company (Jellittos, am I alowed to plug them?). Steve Newal in New Zealand also does this, do you know him?
Its great over at the field, there are no neighbours ;D just the birds. ( also plenty unwanted wild life (rabbits, mice, deer etc.)
Susan

Susan's website:

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »
Luc, Is this enough Mecs. for you. All are Mec. X Lingholme growing for seed, some have huge flowers.
Also growing well alongside them are Primula seiboldii with an amazing range of colours and Primula pulverulenta
Susan

Oooooooooohh

I think Georg will be very happy with such deliverer.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
Ah, that explains it then. I should have guessed. Yes, I know Steve very well. He grows heaps of stuff himself and Hokonui Alpines south of me do things too, Mec. punicea etc. I was offered seed as well but I haven't a reliable water supply so can't do that unfortunately.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
Incredible display of Lingholm seedlings Susan.

There is a garden 10 hours north of here in the Gaspé of Québec called Jardins de Métis (pronounced may-teese). It was started many years ago by Elsie Reford and taken over by the Quebec government awhile back. I'm told there is a field of 30,000 M. betonicifolia, I believe from Scottish seed. The Meconopsis is the symbol of the garden - very disappointed to see no pictures of them on their website - www.jardinsmetis.com.

Can anyone recommend a source of fresh M. punicea seed?  I saw them in bloom in Tromso and will never forget them.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 06:30:52 AM »
If you can't find anything closer to home John, I may be able to get some for you around Christmas time or a bit later. Mine are all seedlings this year but friends down the road (mentioned above) grow it by the hundreds, seed for Jellito's.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:40:43 AM »
John,
 If mec. bet grows well you should not have a problem with punicea. I don't think I have any flowering this year for seed, as they are monocarpic you have to keep on top of them for a continuous supply, worth it though. I have plenty of seedlings for next year. Old seed germinates okay but takes a year, unlike most other mecs new seed of punicea is best sown in the autumn for spring germination.
Lesley,
I think most things I grow for Jelittos the New Zealanders also grow, If there is a crop failure in one country hopefully there will be seed from the other thus ensuring continuous supply.
Luc,
It is the heat that is most damaging for mecs, not a lot you can do about it, a shade tunnel will help (tunnel not covered in polythene only 50 or 60% shade net).
Susan

Susan's website:

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:58:08 PM »
If you can't find anything closer to home John, I may be able to get some for you around Christmas time or a bit later. Mine are all seedlings this year but friends down the road (mentioned above) grow it by the hundreds, seed for Jellito's.

Leslie - That would be wonderful and the timing perfect to get them going for planting out in the early spring here.

thanks

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
It's really hard to suggest how long the little Mec. punicea would take to be ready John. I sow the fresh seed in December and it NEVER germinates until early spring the following year, usually, regardless of weather through the autumn and winter, on or close to August 8th. Yes, really. I've had it start on the 9th and 10th as well but mostly, it starts on the 8th, so 8 months from sowing to germination. Then I prick them out into small pots when very small, less than a centimetre across and they grow on quickly in my shady tunnel.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »
Lesley,
I have never noted exactly the date on which it germinates, I think I will do that if I remember and see if it is exactly opposite you dates. That would make it Feb 8th,  sounds about right.
Susan

Susan's website:

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
Rob,
you should at least be seeing the bud within the leaves, maybe it wasn't a piece with a flower bud. You will have to keep it alive til next year :D
Susan

Susan's website:

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »
A visit to Branklyn Gardens yesterday coincided with the flowering of the Meconopsis.  The NTFS seem to be making an effort to collect all the named varieties and, in a new bed, there were new collected varieties from recent seed collecting expeditions, although these were not yet in flower. I did not manage to see all the names as the plants were too closely planted.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal