We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange News June 2020  (Read 3335 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
SRGC Seed Exchange News June 2020
« on: June 20, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »
SEED EXCHANGE NEWS
NO SRGC SEED EXCHANGE IN 2020-2021

We are very sorry to have to announce that there will be no SRGC Seed Exchange in 2020-2021.  The Covid 19 pandemic has led to all sorts of restrictions this year, and after much discussion, the teams responsible for the three elements of the seed exchange have reached the conclusion that it will not be possible to carry out the seed exchange in circumstances which are likely to require social distancing, and may well place limitations on groups of folk gathering indoors.  We also recognise that many of the volunteers key in the running of the exchange are among the higher risk segments of the population, and may be reluctant to volunteer in the usual way.  So, please accept our apologies, bear with us until 2021, and read on to find out what we are proposing to do.
NEW EU PLANT AND SEED IMPORT REGULATIONS
In December 2019 the EU implemented new plant and seed import regulations, which apply to the UK as much as any other EU member state.  Defra have confirmed that these mean that any seed being sent into the EU from other parts of the world now requires a phytosanitary certificate, with no exceptions. This obviously will affect all of those members who are kind enough to donate seed to us from outside the EU, and we will take the opportunity that the 2020-21 cancellation gives us to try to work out ways in which key donations from other parts of the world might continue to be made to us.
As we write, we are also unclear as to what will happen after the UK transition period ends on December 31st and we finally leave the EU.  We do not know whether this will mean that from January 2021 we will need to obtain phytosanitary certificates for all seed we send to our members in the EU.  Again, we will be keeping in touch with developments and looking for ways in which we can continue to operate the seed exchange in future.
We will update you all with more information on these developments when it becomes available.

2019-2020 REMAINING SEED - OFFER TO UK MEMBERS

After the seed distribution is completed each year, we have some seed left over which normally goes on tour around the SRGC Spring Shows for members to buy.  This represents the last 5-10% of the seed we packet, and Ian and Carole Bainbridge have two trays with around 3000 packets of seed sitting unused this year.  If any UK member would like some seed, you can email seed@srgc.org.uk, or write to Ian & Carole, address below, with a list of genera you would like, or list large blocks of numbers from the 2019-20 seed list, and your postal address. Seedlist 73 for 2019-2020 can be found  here: https://www.srgcseed.net/seedlistarchive.asp
Ian & Carole have agreed they will post out packs of up to 50 packets of seed.  In return, members will be asked to make a donation on the SRGC website, details below..... 

Please pay a donation of at least 20p per packet plus postage costs, using a credit or debit card by clicking on the “Donate” button on the top right hand corner of the srgc.net home page.  After entering your payment amount, please then use the “Note” space to type “Seed” so our treasurer can allocate your donation correctly.

We are sorry that this offer is only being made to UK members, but we are not in a position to deal with import permits, customs lists or overseas postage in the current circumstances.  In normal years, this seed is only available to UK members at shows, of course.

Email requests to seed@srgc.org.uk are preferred, but you may post requests to: 
Ian & Carole Bainbridge, SRGC Seed Offer, Luckie Harg’s, Anwoth, Gatehouse of Fleet, Dumfries and Galloway, DG7 2EF.

Use  the  list  #73  for  2019-2020 - you can find  it  on this  page  :
https://www.srgcseed.net/seedlistarchive.asp

COLLECTION OF SEED FOR 2021 SHOWS

Even though we will not be running a main exchange in 2020-21, we have been thinking of the ways in which seed might be made available to members. 
We are therefore seeking volunteers who might collect some seed to be available for the SRGC shows that we hope will be able to take place in spring 2021.  If you are a UK member, you could help us in the following way:
•   Collect seed of a few choice or unusual plants from your garden – no more than five types.
•   Check that these taxa were on the 2019-20 seed list; we will use the same numbers as last year.
•   E-mail seed@srgc.org.uk with a note of your 5 items and your postal address, so we can send you labels,
        glassine envelopes and instructions on packeting and returning seed.
•   Make up ten packets of each of your 5 items and send the seed back in to us for collation.

If around 70 members help with this, we can have the normal volume of seed available for the shows in 2021. If we reach this point, the seed collection will then be closed.  Neil and Sheila McNulty have offered to manage this process on our behalf; many thanks to them.  We realise that if it is not possible to hold the shows, the seed may never be used, and we may have wasted effort, but we think it worthwhile trying.

Ian & Carole Bainbridge on behalf of the SRGC Seed team.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:22:27 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: SRGC Seed Exchange News June 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »
This is understandable in a situation like now, and with all the new regulations on top of everything. :(
But it is bad news especially to member outside UK. World changes, and I am so grateful for all the wonderful seeds and plants already growing from seed exchanges in past years.  :) I hope I can grow them well and give seeds from them to others here in the future, when worldwide exchanges are not possible any more.
Leena from south of Finland

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:06:38 AM »
While collecting my first seeds in the wild, i was thinking seedex couln't happen, well this morning i'm reading the bad news.  :-[
North of France

majallison

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »
This is a real shame... I wonder if there's a way to make a devolved seedex with individual members packeting & distributing seeds... just thinking as I type...
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

Carolyn

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »
Malcolm,
If you can come up with a workable idea, we'd be glad to hear it! All the members of the seed team have given this a great deal of thought and we haven't found a satisfactory solution. Everyone is disappointed at having to make this decision - we all donate and apply for seeds too. I don't know what I will do with myself in January if I don't have seeds to sow.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »
This is a real shame... I wonder if there's a way to make a devolved seedex with individual members packeting & distributing seeds... just thinking as I type...

That  sort  of  thing  is  what the  Seed Teams are  proposing  for  seed  to have  for the  Shows, Malcolm .....

Even though we will not be running a main exchange in 2020-21, we have been thinking of the ways in which seed might be made available to members.
We are therefore seeking volunteers who might collect some seed to be available for the SRGC shows that we hope will be able to take place in spring 2021.  If you are a UK member, you could help us in the following way:
•   Collect seed of a few choice or unusual plants from your garden – no more than five types.
•   Check that these taxa were on the 2019-20 seed list; we will use the same numbers as last year.
•   E-mail seed@srgc.org.uk with a note of your 5 items and your postal address, so we can send you labels,
•   Make up ten packets of each of your 5 items and send the seed back in to us for collation.

If around 70 members help with this, we can have the normal volume of seed available for the shows in 2021. If we reach this point, the seed collection will then be closed.  Neil and Sheila McNulty have offered to manage this process on our behalf; many thanks to them.  We realise that if it is not possible to hold the shows, the seed may never be used, and we may have wasted effort, but we think it worthwhile trying.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

majallison

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 09:12:45 PM »
I'll start collecting some seeds... unfortunately, I don't grow many alpines or woodland plants...
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

Tristan_He

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
Only just came across this thread - that's terrible news. Understandable with Covid around but please, please, please make every effort to resurrect this wonderful seed exchange as soon as possible.

Tristan

Carolyn

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »
Tristan,
The seed exchange will be back when it is possible to arrange it safely - all the folks in the team were unhappy to have to make this decision. We are all keen seed-sowers too!
I have been busy trying to set up some local informal seed swapping for the SW Scotland group. January just wouldn’t seem right without seeds to sow.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Tristan_He

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 03:28:53 PM »
Thanks Carolyn, and if I can help in any way, please get in touch.

Best wishes, Tristan

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »

That  sort  of  thing  is  what the  Seed Teams are  proposing  for  seed  to have  for the  Shows, Malcolm .....

•   Collect seed of a few choice or unusual plants from your garden – no more than five types.
•   Check that these taxa were on the 2019-20 seed list; we will use the same numbers as last year.
•   E-mail seed@srgc.org.uk with a note of your 5 items and your postal address, so we can send you labels,
•   Make up ten packets of each of your 5 items and send the seed back in to us for collation.

Following Maggi’s post above I emailed seed@srgc.org.uk over a week ago but no reply?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 12:16:35 AM »

I am so sorry I have looked forward to the seed exchange to have some normalcy.  I understand the decision with Covid and all the other restrictions.
Thank you for your work you have done in the past and hope next year will be better.

Marianne
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Tristan_He

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »
Well, I received my Dryas yesterday to find that we are having a seed exchange after all, albeit a sort of 2020 one which means it's a bit pants compared to what we are used to.

To which I can only say, thanks sooo much - it's a lovely surprise and a miracle we are having one at all! I've sent off an order and now wish I had donated some seed. Thanks to all who are making it happen for your hard work and here's hoping for some semblance of normality next time!

Tristan

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »
Many thanks to Neil and Sheila McNulty for this years seeds. I was a bit late so didn't expect too many but I got all that I asked for. Now the fun begins.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 02:35:10 PM »
Neil and Sheila McNulty tell me that they have just posted out the last of this year's Seed Orders.  A very BIG and heartfelt THANK YOU to them both for picking and posting every order at home and all by themselves this year. 

We are obviously sorry that the 74th Seed Exchange was smaller than usual this year, but it was great to find a way to be able to do something for members when we initially thought it was going to be impossible.

We all hope that we shall be back to usual service for next winter, at least for UK members.  The position for EU and Rest of World members is still unclear but the SRGC is getting together with various other UK plant societies to discuss possible options.  We aim for a joint approach to the authorities about our problems with the phytosanitary certificate system.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:42:39 PM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal