We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Making a Rock Garden bank..... advice ?  (Read 813 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Making a Rock Garden bank..... advice ?
« on: May 13, 2020, 01:47:13 PM »
Colin Mannion, from Yorkshire, has  asked  ..... " Hello! I have a decent sized bank of rock overlooking my driveway which is a mix of bare face and (currently) weed overgrowth. I am thinking of spending some time to convert it into a proper rock garden which will provide some interest and be more aesthetically appealing. I don’t know where to start. Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 🙂 Colin"

What can we suggest?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Making a Rock Garden bank..... advice ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:01:36 PM »
My first  idea  is  to tackle the  weeds,  taking  special care  to remove  all the  real nasties, like  couch grass. This may  mean you need  to remove  some  of the  existing  stones  in the  bank to get  at  the  roots, sorry, there's  no easy  answer  to that.
 This thread http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4656.0 Crevice  gardening, in defence  of  rock - will surely  give  lots  of  ideas  of  how  you  can proceed - even without making  a  full-on crevice  garden.   Main point  is  to avoid  a  "plum pudding" effect, where  there  are  just  rocks  dotted about  at  random like  plums  in a  pud !

Some  more thoughts here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=13927.0    Embrace the  slope?

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:42:26 PM »
Yeah... I'd be worried about weeds too especially if there are any perennials or an extensive seed bank. You really don't want to be dismantling your rockery to get at resprouting ground elder or dandelions (Ian's pet one notwithstanding!). What are the weeds?

I suppose the question also is whether Colin is after an ornamental bank or something that is a bit more of a haven for rare alpines. I mean you could get pretty good weed suppression and a fabulous display with things like Geranium cinereum, dwarf pinks, rockroses, Sempervivum, Erodiums, saxifrages etc. Bulbs too if there is enough soil. Phlox douglasii? There was a thread about a N American garden with a colossal rock in it with nice cultivars of this species on it. Dwarf willows are highly recommended if it's not too dry... a photo of the site might help. Some of the easier auriculas are great and can look really exotic.

If you are into something a bit more challenging, have a think about alpine habitats: crevices, rock ledges, scree, etc. Use the rock available to create sunny and shady, wetter and drier niches that coould provide habitats for more difficult plants: Ramondas; Drabas; dwarf Campanulas, Edraianthus, gentians. It's well worth getting hold of some seed from a seed exchange of a reputable rock gardening club such as might occur in Caledonian areas. That will give millions of plants to experiment with.

The other thing... have a think about access to your bank for maintenance. This could be actual steps, or strategically placed rocks depending on your agility.

I believe Pottertons Nursery are opening up again shortly, maybe he should speak to them for ideas once he is ready.

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Two things just struck me - first what is at the top of this bank? Roots could be a problem, and spread of weeds. On the other hand it might be a bit wetter than my rockery, which tends to dry out too easily as it has a wall behind it.

The other thing - Cyananthus lobatus. Perfect trailing down a vertical face like this.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »
Colin has  joined the  Forum now  so I hope  he  will pop  up to pose  any  more  questions  he  has and  to clarify  the  situation of  his  bank.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal