We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione affliction  (Read 1148 times)

fredmax

Pleione affliction
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
Hi, I've just signed up after reading these forums for some time and wondered if I could get some input on an affliction that killed my Pleione Maculatas last year and have started doing the same again.

I took it to my local orchid society and the members weren't familiar, I assume as Pleione's aren't common here. It appears as some sort of bacteria or fungus that eventually browns the leaf and plant, I've tried to trim off the leaf and apply cinnamon but the browning returns.

If anyone's seen or dealt with this on their plants I'd love to know a safe treatment I can apply as I have a habit of choosing a cure that's worse than the problem. The pictures are of P Maculata & Praecox.

Thanks
Fred

SteveC2

Re: Pleione affliction
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
Can I just check where you are?  The flag implies Southern Hemisphere, in which case they should be thinking about going dormant.  If northern, then although the leaves are bad, I can see no sign of live roots, which is more worrying. I will keep my ideas to myself until location is certain!

fredmax

Re: Pleione affliction
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 11:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply, the conundrum is I am in the Sth Hemisphere but bought these from overseas (northern hemisphere).
So the plants only just came out of dormancy but have put them in a heated greenhouse, last year I had them indoors and were doing great until the same affliction took them down.

I'm starting to think it's something like erwinia as have an Oncidium with similar looking spots and am now trying a copper fungicide on one plant and a phoasacid on the other after trimming the leaves again. I'm hoping to find a treatment that will kill the disease but won't kill the plant.

The roots are in perfect health and have left them without media and will add a pic but think I'll have to try and situate the plants outdoors for better air movement, I'm also trying my luck with one of them in leca in case the roots need to breathe.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal