We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing European gentians in a lawn meadow area  (Read 4178 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Growing European gentians in a lawn meadow area
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
Thank you, Trond, aren't  they lovely?!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 07:12:38 PM »
Those are superb Trond! Euphrasias are so pretty.

Update no. 1 on the acaulis - it's quite easy to mow over them without damage. I actually think they look slightly heathier in the grass already - a bit darker green. Maybe they are benefiting from some mycorhizae?

In the Swiss Alps I came across a delightful yellow flowered Euphrasia - but tiny flowered even for a Euphrasia. I'm afraid I have forgotten its name....

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »
Thank you, Trond, aren't  they lovely?!

You are welcome, Maggi! And yes, they are lovely. I often kneel to take a better look at them!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
Those are superb Trond! Euphrasias are so pretty.

Update no. 1 on the acaulis - it's quite easy to mow over them without damage. I actually think they look slightly heathier in the grass already - a bit darker green. Maybe they are benefiting from some mycorhizae?

In the Swiss Alps I came across a delightful yellow flowered Euphrasia - but tiny flowered even for a Euphrasia. I'm afraid I have forgotten its name....

I don't know about mycorrhizae which is quite possible, but I have wondered if the short lived (annuals, biennials) have a kind of hemiparasitic behavior? Seems that many plant species have a kind of root connection either directly or through some kind of fungus.

The Swiss Euphrasia looks wonderful - we have no yellows here.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Tristan_He

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 11:42:40 PM »
...well, the gentians are still alive this spring, though looking a bit weather-beaten (as they often do at this time of year). We'll see how they grow once it warms up a bit.

685606-0

685608-1

Thomostak

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
I also used to try to grow various plants in my garden. But this is a very difficult task since plants are quite inconsistent and require special care. Each plant has its preferences, and this should always be taken into account when watering or adding fertilizers. Therefore, I decided that I wanted a beautiful lawn and bought the seeds of the best zoysia grass since it does not require special care, and I can not worry that my lawn will soon stop in a dull brown something.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 03:53:59 PM by Thomostak »

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 02:37:18 PM »
Hi Trond,
Your Gentiana verna is Gentiana nivalis (https://www.florealpes.com/fiche_gentiananivalis.php), or a closed related species. Gentiana verna is not branched and is perennial with bigger flower.

Here is Gentiana verna, this spring in southern France
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal