We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Adams Laburnum not flowering  (Read 671 times)

normanfromayr

Adams Laburnum not flowering
« on: May 17, 2022, 11:01:35 PM »
I have an Adams Laburnum it's about 4 years old 6' tall with luxuriant green foliage, but it has never flowered I also have a normal Laburnum which is now just coming into flower, and when I propagate from it even a 5" twig will flower after a year. Does anyone have any experience of growing this oddity?

Vinny 123

Re: Adams Laburnum not flowering
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 07:56:58 AM »
I have never heard it called Adam's Laburnum before..... probably because I have never looked as it seems common enough now that I have.
As you will no doubt appreciate, it isn't a Laburnum, or at least only (around)  half is - it is a graft chimera between Laburnum and Cytisus (broom).
Personally, I have never believed the catalogue or plant label photo's and about the only comment that I can find is that those are fantasy plants bred and propagated in Photoshop.
My go-to for short sharp accurate descriptions of garden plants - Kenneth A Beckett, Concise Encyclopedia.... - makes little comment implying that it should flower as per Laburnum. That said, +Laburnocytisus is very highly likely to be one clone whereas garden Laburnums are going to have been selected almost to death for all that gardeners look for.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:06:22 AM by Vinny 123 »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »
Adams Laburnum - Laburnocytisus adamii  - odd that yours is not flowering - have you been pruning it and perhaps removed the flowers?

I can confirm that this is a plant that can, and does, flower well, I've seen a very fine specimen in a large old Aberdeenshire garden.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

normanfromayr

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 12:50:09 PM »
I saw a wonderful example in full multicoloured bloom at Glasgow Botanic Gardens about 5 years ago, it is about to bloom and should give a good show for the next few weeks. Unfortunately, mine is "sulking", each year I look for some sign of flower buds but nothing so far.

Vinny 123

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 02:07:12 PM »
It ought to be difficult to prune blossom off a tree - if you search online it can flower in a broadly similar fashion to Cercis siliquatrum - short peduncles errupting from quite large branches - not what it is famous for, but possible..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal