We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2020  (Read 6585 times)

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
Re: Galanthus March 2020
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »
Some more
1. Galanthus LP Short
662463-0

2. Galanthus Ophelia
662465-1
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:54:47 PM by Maggi Young »
in Moscow

WSGR

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 07:55:13 AM »
Like me, it's a rare species and a bit confused! :D

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 03:50:10 PM »
As there were several nightime severe temperature drops predicted in the past 10 days which never materialized we didn't take the white plastic off the frames till this morn. The snowdrops were crying to get out.  I feel much the same way with the "stay at home orders" in place, however best to stay put & live to see the show. ;D

johnw
halifax, ns
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:52:16 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »
Still some  snowdrops  looking  pretty  in our  Aberdeen garden - a few  on this  week's  Bulb Log  cover, for  intacnce!
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2020Mar251585138031BULB_LOG_1320.pdf

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 08:01:57 PM »
In this month's International Rock Gardener e-magazine  ......

Genus Galanthus L. in the Caucasus: Dr. Dimitri Zubov, Ukraine..... and  more, of  course!

IRG 123 cover photo: Galanthus plicatus subsp. plicatus  - photo D. Zubov.     

Download  the  IRG 123 here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2020Mar261585255661IRG123.pdf

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »
My Spindlestone Surprise have been blooming since February 10, and the flowers have finally started to brown.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Roma

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 09:40:37 PM »
The last of the snowdrops
Galanthus elwesii.  I got this one from Fred Sutherland in 1994.  It has not increased much but there are a few seedlings.  The flower is not huge but the plant is tall and the leaves get very big.  I need to cut back the Chaenomeles but I find it difficult to cut anything in flower then forget about it till it's too late again.
First pic March 2nd March, second one 23rd.

Galanthus platyphyllus  I think it needs more moisture.  We often have a dry spring but last two years have been drier than usual.

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »
I sowed G.platyphyllus in January from Pilous seeds, I hope they germinate. It will be interesting to see how it does here.
Why is 'Little Magnet' called little?
'Rosemary Burnham'
'Kildare'
'Big Boy'
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 06:05:11 PM »
Some more from last week before the snow.
'Moreton Mill'
'Green Peace'
'Deer Slot', this has been very slow for me.
'Hugh Mackenzie'
'Lord Lieutenant', I like how this one holds it's flowers well above the foliage. The markings in the inner petals are not quite as they should, but maybe it is a matter of age.

Leena

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
'Viridapice' has been maybe the most vigorous snowdrop I grow. From one half rotted bulb in 2011 it has grown so well that I have been able to divide it already three times, and in every place I plant it, it starts to multiply well.
Also 'Lerinda' has been very good grower for me, and though it isn't very distinct (in fact I almost like it more than even 'S.Arnott'), it is vigorous and was cheap.
'E.A.Bowles' is my favourite, so white and big round flowers. Planted one bulb in 2015, and I also like that it sets seeds. None of the seedlings has flowered yet.
'Priscilla Bacon' planted last summer. It came up early (as all snowdrops from more south do the first year), but hasn't suffered from cold weather.
'Lapwing' planted in 2015 hasn't been very vigorous here, it comes up very early and may suffer because of that, or it doesn't like it's place. I may try to move it to some other bed.  :)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
Why is 'Little Magnet' called little?
That's exactly what I thought when i encountered it in a garden open for snowdrops earlier this year.  The other thing I wondered is how many 'Something Magnets' there are?  'Little Magnet', 'Benton Magnet', 'Wisley Magnet' - I'm sure there are many more.

Edit 'Sibbertoft Magnet' came to mind later.  There is even a 'Fridge Magnet' although I'm not sure if that one is official or just a joke.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:59:28 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
'Lapwing' planted in 2015 hasn't been very vigorous here, it comes up very early and may suffer because of that, or it doesn't like it's place. I may try to move it to some other bed.  :)
This reminded me that  I hadn't  seen 'Lapwing'  this  year  - nor  can  I remember  where  it  was planted  :-\ :-X
Rather  annoyed with  myself  about this. Sigh!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2020, 11:57:31 AM »
Great to hear  from Harald Alex about the  success of the  Torgau Spring  Flower  and  Snowdrop Event -
"We had a lot of luck, that our "2nd Torgauer Springflower - Show" was open the two days in 7. and 8. march 2020, just shortly before the Corona restrictions came here in Germany and all the later events are cancelled till now.

We had more than 35 Exhibitors in our show, 3 speakers (Hagen Engelmann from Schorbus about "Snowdrop 1x1"; Iris Ney from Taunus about "Creating of living gardens in winter and the plants for this" and Dr. Tony Heitkam from the TU Dresden- Institut of Botany about "Historical production of Saffron in Saxonia in the 16th century and the way of hybridisation of the triploid Crocus sativus from wild Crocus from Greece") and a new fotoshow with old rare colourfotos of Erwin Barth: "Gartenkunst in Berlin vor 1914". We organisated 3 bus tours to the springflower-places around Torgau and had a good successful Springplant-Market with more than 10 plantsellers. In both days we had 2300 visitors and think, it was a great success!

Additionally we organised in the afternoon before  a meeting about the use of the soilactivator Leonardit in agricultural plant production and horticulture together with the Company "Rösl Kompostwerke Liemehna", who produces this effective substance.
 I want to say "Thank You" to You, because I got many tips for our show from You and the SRGC! From Cyril Lafong I got last summer some good snowdropvarieties for the show and so we had the first time a Scottish Exhibitor here! Also from Ruben Billiet from Belgium we had snowdrops and Hagen Engelmann demonstrated some of his newest varieties!
In the Internet the regional TORGAUTV has a 14 min video of our Springflower-Show and You can see it under the link: "facebook.com/TORGAUTV/videos/525002881488910"."

Please watch the  video, Harald narrates  it  and we  can see  Hagen - in his  customary  hat - chatting to members  of the  public about  his  snowdrops.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal