We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sow now or wait until fall  (Read 1581 times)

Jan Jeddeloh

Sow now or wait until fall
« on: February 11, 2020, 04:00:26 AM »
I just got my SRGC seed a couple of days ago and it of course contained several narcissus packets.  I was wondering if I should sow it now or wait until fall to sow it.  We have fairly hot summers, hotter than the UK anyway, and I don't have much shade so it's hard to shade my plastic pots over the summer.  Some can go in my plunge bed but it lacks sufficient room for all the deserving plants.  Babysitting ungerminated seed pots over summer is basically a pain.

If I plant them now I might get a bit of germination this year but the odds aren't great.  Our winter has been really mild so far.  The long range forecast for February shows day time temperatures averaging around 12-13C.  So unless I pop pots in the fridge not much chance for a good chill.  Does anyone know how long a chilling period narcissus need?  And how long does nacissus seed stored in the fridge last? 

Any advice will be appreciated.
Jan

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sow now or wait until fall
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »
Hi Jan,
 I suggest  reading  Ian's  Bulbs from Seed  "special"  of  his  Bulb Log last  year  :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2019Nov131573643737BULB_LOG_4619.pdf

Sensible  advice there  for  all growing  lots  of  bulbs  from seed - and  illustrated on the  cover  with a  photo pf  seed  of  a  non- bulb!!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal