We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trailing alpines for trough  (Read 1367 times)

NeilH

Trailing alpines for trough
« on: February 04, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »
Just in the throws of planting a new trough & was wondering if i could get a few suggestions for trailing/over spilling plants to put round the sides.Google searchs are not proving inspirational (pages of big companys ads with trailing or alpine somewhere in the text)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Re: Trailing alpines for trough
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »
Worth trying some Cyananthus. The easily available species are blue-flowered but there are yellow-flowered species such as flavus and macrocalyx that can be grown from seed. Cyananthus has the added advantage of providing a late summer flower display.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:26:12 PM »
Maybe Veronica oltensis, liwanensis pectinata,rupestris.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 06:41:00 PM »
Cyananthus is a great idea! I never used to rate them based on photos but having grown one, I wouldn't be without it.

As for other trailing species, it depends on how strict your definition of 'trailing' is. Lots of alpines are mat-forming, and if you plant these on the edge of a trough they will quite happily overgrow the edges and soften the appearance. Good genera are Saxifraga, Androsace, Dianthus, dwarf Salix such as S. reticulata or hylematica, Silene acaulis, Phlox douglasii cultivars. Dwarf campanulas are also worth a try though you do need to be a bit careful as some are a bit too vigorous. Also Edraianthus, maybe some Draba and of course creeping thymes are also very underrated in my view.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Best, Tristan

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »
If  anyone  wants  to  be  convinced about  the  worth of  Cyananthus, see  Ian's  pictures  in the  Bulb Log of  our  biggest  one  on a  raised  bed - flowering  for  many  months each year !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal