We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2020  (Read 51834 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Hepatica 2020
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
Thanks Gabriela for advise regarding Epimediums. Night between Monday and Tuesday will be the coldest according to forecast.

H.transsilvanica grows also here well, and is hardy.
I managed to get a picture of last of the blue nice flower of H.americana. :)
Second picture is  'Louise Kohler', very pretty! :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »
I hope your Epimediums are OK Leena. Two more very cold nights here before 'spring' gets back to normal.

Pretty Hepatica americana and the 'KL' :) Here H. americana is also nearing the end of flowering. A pure white, a bicolor, and one of my favorite with a nice display of old and new leaves.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2020, 11:29:21 PM »
Nice contrast between the old an new foliage Leena
The two- toned is also very nice.

How long does it take for the seeds of nobilis to develop? They seems to be ready and mature for two weeks to a month now. Are they supposed to fall off by itself?
I really want to sow the seeds and see them come up. Btw is the seeds germinating now in spring or is it a long process?
The seeds and the foliage is the joy now when the flowers are gone.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2020, 06:04:01 PM »
Very nice two toned blue, Gabriela. :)

Btw is the seeds germinating now in spring or is it a long process?

Seed of Hepatica fall off when they are still green, so it is best to bag the seed pods to catch the seeds. Otherwise they will be gone one morning.
Hepatica seeds must be sown when they are still fresh, and they germinate the next spring, so it is a long process. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2020, 04:32:55 AM »
I place a pot of soil under the flowers so the seeds drop in and sow themselves.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2020, 10:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the info about the long time to see results Lena.
I have bagged all seed heads so this year I will not try Diane's great and simple idea. They just take so long time to mature!
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »
In an article from Lincoln Foster in 1966 (American Rock Garden Society Vol 24 no 1) I found following name: Hepatica acutiloba 'Millstream Pink'.
Does this Hepatica still exist?
You can find the article: https://nargs.org/sites/default/files/free-rgq-downloads/VOL_24_NO_1.pdf
Look on page 12!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:01:17 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
Herman I only know of Millstream  Merlin.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2020, 02:59:15 PM »
Herman I only know of Millstream  Merlin.
Shelagh, I have now added  the link to that article. Millstream Merlin grows in our garden. But Milstream Pink is unknown to me.
Belgium

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2020, 02:09:13 PM »
A very interesting article and it sounds like Millstream Pink would be a worthwhile addition to any garden. However I see the publication was 1966 so perhaps it has gone out of cultivation. Millstream Merlin doesn't appear to produce viable seed in our experience so this could be a reason for it's disapperance or perhaps one of our American friends will find you one.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #265 on: November 07, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »
RE: Hepatica 'Millstream Pink' :

None  of  my  contacts  in  NARGS ( North American Rock Garden Society)  know  of  this  plant  still being  in cultivation. Seems  we're  out  of  luck in finding  it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #266 on: November 07, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »
RE: Hepatica 'Millstream Pink' :

None  of  my  contacts  in  NARGS ( North American Rock Garden Society)  know  of  this  plant  still being  in cultivation. Seems  we're  out  of  luck in finding  it.
Thank you Maggi.

H . LINCOL N FOSTER, Falls Village, Conn.:
It has taken ten years to build up a stock and introduce into the gardens of
friends H. acutiloba "Millstream Pink." This is a vigorous plant with large blossoms of vivid, deep pink, an outstanding individual in any collection. Distributed now into many gardens, this solitary plant, found after long search amidst hosts
of plants in many sites, will perhaps persist in cultivation. It might have been
destroyed in the wild! 

"Distributed in many gardens" Maybe the plant still exists somewhere in a botanical or other garden.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:52:06 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2020, 12:22:18 AM »
In an article from Lincoln Foster in 1966 (American Rock Garden Society Vol 24 no 1) I found following name: Hepatica acutiloba 'Millstream Pink'.
Does this Hepatica still exist?
You can find the article: https://nargs.org/sites/default/files/free-rgq-downloads/VOL_24_NO_1.pdf
Look on page 12!

A good read and nice to have a look at an old black & white Journal Herman. I never heard about this form; like others already pointed out here, it may be lost unfortunately.
It is very hard to produce stock to distribute at least in few other gardens starting just from 1-2 plants.

Millstream Merlin I understand is a hybrid of unknown parentage; does the foliage resemble H. acutiloba?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 12:30:26 AM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2020, 12:29:45 AM »
It is that time of year when Hepaticas are starting to draw attention again from the woodland floor. This year I notice that most H. americana show marbled foliage.
H. americana

In late summer I planted for the first time few H. japonica plants raised from seeds in the garden. Raising from seeds surely gives you a chance to experiment :)
Already looking fwd to the spring!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
A good read and nice to have a look at an old black & white Journal Herman. I never heard about this form; like others already pointed out here, it may be lost unfortunately.
It is very hard to produce stock to distribute at least in few other gardens starting just from 1-2 plants.

Millstream Merlin I understand is a hybrid of unknown parentage; does the foliage resemble H. acutiloba?
Gabriela,

'Millstream Merlin'

Ashwood nursery
Hepatica `Millstream Merlin` is thought to be a cross between H. transsilvanica and H. americana, raised by H. Lincoln Foster, Connecticut. The long lasting, intense purple blue flowers are irregularly semi double, with no stamens, they also have a tendency to rebloom, an exceptional hepatica.

Edrom nursery
This has to be one of the most beautiful of the non japonica hybrid Hepaticas.
Flowers are made up of broad blue petals, a good strong blue and arguably the deepest blue on any except maybe some japonica hybrids. Foliage is tri-lobed and mid green in colour, dying away for the colder winter months. The flowers tend to rise in early spring before the fresh green foliage. Deep cobalt blue, deeper than Hepatica nobilis Cobalt blue but slower growing. Completely sterile and therefore the flowers last considerably longer.
Quite possibly a hybrid between H. media and H. acutiloba.

Edrom nursery uses then the name Hepatica x media ‘Millstream Merlin’

Mister Hepatica (Andreas Händel)
Hepatica `Millstream Merlin` a legendary plant of Lincoln Foster. The foliage leaves also look at this intersection very similar to those of mother transsilvanica, but stand the flowers are erect and appear very numerous.
The flowers are 30-35mm in diameter evenly round with 8-12 petals.

Gabriela, I think there is surely H. acutiloba involved. The position of the flowers is like the one's of acutiloba. The leaves show H. transsilvanica blood.

About "x media" I don't know. Then the cross should be (H. nobilis x H. transsilvanica) x H. acutiloba

I have taken today a picture of a leave.

So which name is correct:

Hepatica `Millstream Merlin` or  Hepatica x media ‘Millstream Merlin’
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:02:39 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal