We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Les Quatre Vents  (Read 1018 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Les Quatre Vents
« on: January 05, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
A very good re-broadcast on TV Ontario last night.  An interview with Frank Cabot and the development of his huge garden in the Charlevoix region of Québec at La Malbaie.  Hosted by many including our ex Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson & Penelope Hobhouse amongst others. Well done and especially nice to see credits of some alpines given credits at the end. I hope it works in the EU & UK, if not simply search The Gardener.

Full documentary -

https://www.tvo.org/video/documentaries/the-gardener

johnw
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:59:54 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Les Quatre Vents
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:29:24 PM »
Interesting and beautiful place John, thanks. I heard on some occasion about Les Quatre Vents but didn't look into it to find out more. I'll make a note in case a visit to Quebec happens.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

brianw

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 05:57:38 PM »
We can watch the trailer in the UK via imdb, but not see the full film without fooling our place of residence; as far as I can see.
I went there a few years ago with a local resident. Saw no others there on that day. Contacted Frank Cabot after and thanked him for a great garden visit and happened to mention I had seen a large number of Cypripedium earlier in Ontario. He replied that had he been there he would have taken me into the local forest and showed me 100's. There is a long narrow vista through trees into a local field which was occupied by a number of cattle. He told me they put feed there to attract the cattle to the right position ;-) It had one isolated point among the clipped hedges where an orchestra of oversize frogs start playing when you approach.
Don't think there was many alpines but a super place to visit, especially on your own, although that rope bridge was a bit scary with no-one around to pick you up if you fall.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

brianw

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
Doesn't time fly? It was after the NARGS Ontario conference in 2008 I went. Looking back at my photos a considerable number of the plants could be seen in Scottish gardens although maybe not in such generous numbers. Stunning.

By coincidence I moved house some years later; the house across the road was named "Four Winds" ;-)
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 12:16:22 AM »
Brian - Too bad we didn't meet you at that conference, we were both there.  We couldn't recall where we heard Cabot speak but Ken dug out the Gardening Underground booklet from Toronto and it was indeed there. An illustrious group of attendees!

I miss the Great Gardening Conferences in Toronto.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal