We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Robert’s Crystal Range Project – Year 2, 2020  (Read 31474 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Robert’s Crystal Range Project – Year 2, 2020
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2020, 05:51:42 AM »

Here is a closer look of the dried remains of Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia. This perennial species remains viable by protecting its dormant growth buds deep under the surface of the soil. This time of year the 10 cm soil temperature averages 87 F (30.6 C) with a daily high temperature averaging 105 F (40.6 C). At 15 cm the average soil temperature is 80 F (26.7 C). The intense solar radiation not only heats the soil but also drives moisture from the soil. I have recorded a considerable amount of data regarding the tolerance this species has to many environmental stresses. The data is quite revealing and I hope to discuss this comprehensively in the future.

Allium campanulatum is just one of many bulbous species that inhabit this site.

The xeric annual species, Calycadenia truncata, generally grows abundantly each season. The dry conditions this year have certainly contributed to their diminished numbers, however I observed multiple environmental stresses during germination and the cotyledon/early seedling stages of their development. Many seedlings failed during this critical phase in their development.

The xeric annual Lessingia leptoclada suffered even greater losses during their early season development.

There was a great deal that I wished to accomplish, so I recorded the data I needed to record and then moved on to higher terrain on the mountain.

There is more to post concerning this outing.....   :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »
Robert, I was reading carefully your recent report and was wondering about the soil temperature profile for many of your summer drought plus heat species. I just happen to have at hand a few packets of Eriogonum and Allium that are going to get their stratification. I'm slowly learning and understanding your species array. In your post you mention about a strategy of keeping dormant buds underground.
(Attachment Link)

Here is a closer look of the dried remains of Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia. This perennial species remains viable by protecting its dormant growth buds deep under the surface of the soil. This time of year the 10 cm soil temperature averages 87 F (30.6 C) with a daily high temperature averaging 105 F (40.6 C). At 15 cm the average soil temperature is 80 F (26.7 C). The intense solar radiation not only heats the soil but also drives moisture from the soil. I have recorded a considerable amount of data regarding the tolerance this species has to many environmental stresses. The data is quite revealing and I hope to discuss this comprehensively in the future.

(Attachment Link)

Allium campanulatum is just one of many bulbous species that inhabit this site.

(Attachment Link)

Have you searched how deep under in average do plants keep their underground dormant buds? How deep does A.campanulatum grow under? The site of those photos were taken at what elevation? Would that depth change as elevation rises? Higher up it would be cooler and also slightly less dry. This would give me a clue of how these species might behave here. I'm still trying to figure out to what  nearest level is my place equivalent to. Your plants are very good indicators and also they provide the breadth of their niche. Your detailed observations in your various sites are invaluable in that sense. Thank you!
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2020, 08:47:33 PM »
Arturo,

I appreciate your questions. This posting gives me an opportunity to make an important correction concerning my previous statement regarding Viola purpurea. Concerning your questions, I do not have much information regarding the depth at which Allium campanulatum bulbs are found. Over the years, I have dug around a few (like fewer than 10) Allium campanulatum plants and have found the bulbs at the depth of 3 cm to 6 cm. The bulbs I examined were found at various altitudes. No information was recorded, but I do remember the general depth at which they were found. In our region, Allium campanulatum is found growing at an altitude of 1,500 meters to > 2,100 meters. I just do not have information regarding a change in bulb depth with altitude or exposure to solar radiation. The altitude of the site where I photographed the dried Allium campanulatum plants was 1,550 meters. Variables such as soil type (structure, texture, drainage, pH, mineral content, etc.), lack of competing vegetation, exposure to solar radiation, and the moisture cycle throughout the season are extremely important considerations regarding their cultivation.

Now I wish to correct my statement concerning the depth of the dormant growth buds of Viola purpurea. Once again, I have examined the depth of very few dormant growth buds. The few I have examined are generally only 2 cm to 4 cm under the surface. My previous statement should have read that the roots penetrate deeply into the ground to find moisture during their dormant season. I apologize for my error.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2020, 06:14:00 AM »

Before I move on with this posting, I would like to share this photograph that I forgot to add in the last posting. On the right is a beautiful silvery form of Arctostaphylos mewukka ssp. mewukka contrasting next to a very good specimen of Arctostaphylos patula. Acrtostaphylos viscida ssp. viscida also grows in close proximity. I frequently observe plants that I suspect are hybrids, however with my low-tech methodology this is difficult to prove. Both A. patula and A.viscida are diploid, 2n=26. A. mewukka is tetraploid, 2n=52. Providing there is a good degree on chromosome homology hybrids between these species are possible. Testing suspected hybrid offspring to see if they are sterile would be a good starting point, but would not necessarily prove anything. Some hybrids may be fertile. Attempting artificial hybrids at my home garden is also a methodology that I am pursuing. Fun stuff!  ;D

I spent the remaining portion of the outing in the Lyons Creek Basin. My starting elevation was 6,725 feet (2,050 meters). Over the last few days I have been assembling and analyzing the August metrological data from various sites throughout the Crystal Range region. August was a hot month and most stations recorded record-breaking temperatures. For example, a site within the Crystal Range at an elevation of 6,700 feet (2,042 meters) recorded an average monthly temperature of 62.10 F (16.7 C), breaking the old record of 61.10 F (16.1 C) set in 2017. 62.10 F is 3.81 F (2.1 C) above the 15-year average for this site, a significant deviation from the average. Needless to say there were plenty of signs of drought and heat stress as I surveyed the area.

Where there was adequate moisture the autumn blooming Symphyotrichum spathulatum var. spathulatum was seen in bloom.

Based on the characteristics of the plants in this area, I strongly suspect that the majority are the diploid form, 2n=16, of this species. This species performs quite well in our Sacramento garden and I have a very active breeding program with this species to improve its performance in our garden.

Agrostis humilis is one of many Poaceae frequently seen in this portion of the Crystal Range/Basin. Quite often it is seen dry and straw-brown along trails. This stand was very lush for this time of year and for such a hot, dry season.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:23:33 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2020, 06:16:43 AM »

The lower portion of the Lyons Creek Basin consists of a series of many moist, semi-xeric and xeric meadows. The xeric meadows can be quite barren. Allium campanulatum, Calyptridium monospermum, and Eriogonum incanum are common species found in these seasonally xeric meadows. The pictured meadow is more semi-xeric, inhabited with Lupinus lepidus var. sellulus, Hokelia fusca var. parviflora and Pedicularis attolens, as well as a variety of Poaceae.

Ragged Daisy, Eurybia integrifolia, is another late blooming Asteraceae frequently encountered in this region. Despite the tattered appearance of the foliage and flowers this is a species that I enjoy considerably.

For the most part most of the Solidago elongata had finished blooming for the season.

The berries of the shrubby Lonicera conjugialis are very attractive. This deciduous species is commonly seen in semi-shaded sites in the lower portion of the basin.

Bromus carinatus is another of the many Poaceae seen in the lower portion of the Lyons Creek Basin.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »

With adequate moisture throughout the growing season Veratrum californicum var. californicum will flower and set seed.

Optimal growing conditions are frequently not met and Veratrum californicum var. californicum is often seen collapsed and drying before they can produce flowers or seed.

Rough Bentgrass, Agrostis scabra, prefers moist meadows.

Castilleja miniata ssp. miniata is a very common Paintbrush species in this region. Both the red and less common yellow form is found in the Lyons Creek Basin.

The inflorescence of our native barley, Hordeum brachyantherum ssp. brachyantherum, shatters at maturity, which is typical for this Genus.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:26:02 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2020, 08:06:56 AM »
Robert,

You mention that the temperature increases and the snow cover period and precipitation decrease but what about the growing season?

Many perennials will probably suffer but annuals can possibly get a long enough growing season each spring and/or fall. Here, both the spring and fall growing season has been prolonged to the benefit of many plants. So even if the summers should be getting drier many plants will have enough growing time. This summer has been very good for the farmers in S Norway growing cereals. Some are getting all time high yields.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »
Trond,

These are some very important questions and you are bringing to our attention important observations. There is overwhelming evidence that the emissivity of the atmosphere is increasing. This is impacting our gardens and is also impacting all life on this planet (NOW), not that life on this planet is going to end anytime soon. If only considering the impacts to gardens and gardening this is a topic that would be helpful to discuss. I have a large amount of data that strongly suggest climate change is now having a major impact on our regional ecosystems. Translating this information so that it is practical to gardeners will take me a considerable amount of thought and time. It will probably be best to discuss this topic a little bit at a time. Later today I will answer your questions with simple answers – there is the rest of the story that is important to tell too – but as I have stated this will require much more thought and time.  :)   8)   8)   8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2020, 06:45:19 AM »
Hi Trond,

I have 30 years of growing season records (number of frost free days) at the farm in Placerville. Over this time period the growing season has lengthened by about 10 days. This statistic is a bit misleading. For example, this spring the date of the last frost (32 F – 0 C or below) was 2 April. The month of February was extremely dry and warm. Many plants, such as fruit trees, broke dormancy and started to bloom and grow. There were only a few days with very light frost before 2 April. On the night of 2 April the temperature dropped to 29 F (-1.7 C). This is not very cold, however because many plant species had tender new growth they got “hammered” hard by this frost. Even many native plants were in growth and suffered damage. Events like this have occurred in the past, however events like this are much more frequent with climate change.

I have only 15 years of records at our Sacramento home. Here the growing season has lengthened by 16 days. This is another misleading statistic. For the first 10 years frost occurred every year, so there was a beginning and end to the frost-free period. Now we do not get a killing frost every season. There might be light frost on the ground, but at 2 meters above the ground it might be 33 F. We often worry that there will not be sufficient chilling hours for our fruit trees. I have also started a breeding program for certain bulbs that I enjoy that need winter chilling. Tulips are a good example.

At some point, it might be good to discuss how the increasing emissivity of the atmosphere is impacting the climate of our planet. It is fairly simple to demonstrate using very simple mathematical modeling. A basic understanding of radiative transfer, Wein’s displacement law and the Stefan-Boltzmann constant is all that is needed. Things are, of course, a bit more complicated that this, however such a basic model clearly demonstrates how changes in the emissivity of the atmosphere can alter the temperature of the planet. CO2, NO2, CH4 create a great deal of radiative forcing in our atmosphere. Water vapor is extremely abundant in the atmosphere, however it often acts more as a feedback loop than a forcing agent. There is some new research that is shedding new light on the role of water vapor in this regard. More for me to read!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2020, 05:20:19 AM »
The last 24 hours have been very interesting here in our portion of Northern California. Yesterday late in the day dense smoke from the Creek Fire shrouded our region (see satellite image below). By morning, the next day, the cars, streets and landscape were dusted with ash as though there had been a volcanic eruption.

Satellite image of Creek Fire – slightly below center with smoke plume extending northward toward Lake Tahoe and into northern Nevada and western Utah.

The forecast for 6 September (today) was for high temperatures to range from 110 F (43.3C) to 105 F (40.6 C). This forecast seemed reasonable, however if the dense smoke persisted the high temperatures might be 5 to 10 F lower. As it turned out enough smoke cleared to set the stage for record breaking high temperatures in our area.

A few examples:
> The Placerville farm, 105 F (40.6 C) – This tied the record for the highest temperature recorded during the month of September (over a 38 year period).
> The Placerville farm – the average temperature for 6 September 2020 was 11.37 F (6.3 C) above 38-year average for this date.
> Our Sacramento home, 106 F (41.1 C) – This is a new record high temperature for the month of September.
> Our Sacramento home, 72 F (22.2 C) – This ties the highest low temperature for the month of September.
> Eastern portions of the greater Sacramento area, 111 F (43.9) – Ben Bolt and Rancho Cordova, both between our Sacramento home and the Placerville farm.

The current forecast for the next few days are for more extreme heat, a windstorm (just what we need considering all the active wildfires in California  :P  ), and then more heat.

Tomorrow I will get back to posting the remaining portions of my last outing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:24:15 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2020, 07:57:46 AM »
Hi Trond,

I have 30 years of growing season records (number of frost free days) at the farm in Placerville. Over this time period the growing season has lengthened by about 10 days. This statistic is a bit misleading. For example, this spring the date of the last frost (32 F – 0 C or below) was 2 April. The month of February was extremely dry and warm. Many plants, such as fruit trees, broke dormancy and started to bloom and grow. There were only a few days with very light frost before 2 April. On the night of 2 April the temperature dropped to 29 F (-1.7 C). This is not very cold, however because many plant species had tender new growth they got “hammered” hard by this frost. Even many native plants were in growth and suffered damage. Events like this have occurred in the past, however events like this are much more frequent with climate change.

Robert,

We are used to mild winters here at the west coast and sudden frost in late March and April but this may increase as you say. The area with such kind of climate will also extend both along the coast and inland. Last winter you also had to go much higher to find protective snow cover (and skiing possibilities, especially in the south-east parts of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
The last 24 hours have been very interesting here in our portion of Northern California. Yesterday late in the day dense smoke from the Creek Fire shrouded our region (see satellite image below). By morning, the next day, the cars, streets and landscape were dusted with ash as though there had been a volcanic eruption.

Satellite image of Creek Fire – slightly below center with smoke plume extending northward toward Lake Tahoe and into northern Nevada and western Utah.

The forecast for 6 September (today) was for high temperatures to range from 110 F (43.3C) to 105 F (40.6 C). This forecast seemed reasonable, however if the dense smoke persisted the high temperatures might be 5 to 10 F lower. As it turned out enough smoke cleared to set the stage for record breaking high temperatures in our area.

A few examples:
> The Placerville farm, 105 F (40.6 C) – This tied the record for the highest temperature recorded during the month of September (over a 38 year period).
> The Placerville farm – the average temperature for 6 September 2020 was 11.37 F (6.3 C) above 38-year average for this date.
> Our Sacramento home, 106 F (41.1 C) – This is a new record high temperature for the month of September.
> Our Sacramento home, 72 F (22.2 C) – This ties the highest low temperature for the month of September.
> Eastern portions of the greater Sacramento area, 111 F (43.9) – Ben Bolt and Rancho Cordova, both between our Sacramento home and the Placerville farm.

The current forecast for the next few days are for more extreme heat, a windstorm (just what we need considering all the active wildfires in California  :P  ), and then more heat.

Tomorrow I will get back to posting the remaining portions of my last outing.

I would not like such temperatures! My limit is 30C. I have experienced 42C in Cyprus once and could bear it though. I remember it was better moving and sweating than to sit down. But how the heat is felt depend on the humidity also I think.

Robert

« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2020, 05:13:34 AM »

It was another day with dense smoke in Northern California. A strong north wind event is possible tomorrow, 8 September. With all the wildfires, this is the last thing we need. Although temperatures will likely cool from record levels during the remaining portion of the week, they are very likely to remain well above the seasonal average.

Now on with the posting…

This is an example of a semi-xeric meadow, however this season it is very dry.

The lower portions of Lyons Creek were dry, and much of the higher portions were reduced to a trickle. This is not an unusual occurrence; the lower sections of Lyons Creek frequently become dry late in the season. What is alarming is that lower sections of Lyons Creek, on average, are becoming dry earlier in the season and the late season stream flow is declining in the upper sections of Lyons Creek.

The fruit of Sorbus californica is very attractive. As the season progresses the fruit will turn bright red if birds or other creatures do not eat them.

Senescence was setting in early on this specimen of Sorbus californica. A combination of carotenoids and anthocyanin generally account for the autumn coloration of leaves and the pigmentation of flowers.

Viola bakeri frequently replaces Viola purpurea in cold air basins such as the colder portions of the Lyons Creek Basin. I am not sure of the exact environmental circumstances involved in their habitat preferences, however in general Viola purpurea has a clear preference for sites that are warmer and more protected during emergence in the spring. In addition, I am finding increasing evidence that Viola bakeri and Viola purpurea can form natural hybrids in the wild. Viola bakeri is octopliod 2n=48; and Viola purpurea can be diploid or tetrapliod, 2n=12, 24. As in the genus Dahlia, it is theoretically possible such combinations are possible. Most likely the answer is already known, but I will be looking into this anyway.

There is more for me to post over the next few days.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2020, 07:08:40 AM »
Robert,

We have a little creek close to our mountain cabin. Usually it dries up during high summer (the source of the water is snowmelt) but this year this happened only for a few days in August.

In the first photograph of Sorbus californica it looks very similar to our Sorbus aucuparia but in the second it doesn't. Anyway it looks quite attractive.
Here is a photo from my garden (2018), this year it has no fruits.

673121-0

Robert

« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2020, 05:36:12 AM »
Trond,

Thank you for sharing the photograph. The berries on your Sorbus are very attractive.  8)  I enjoy the Genus Sorbus immensely, especially our native species! They are very difficult to cultivate in the hot Central Valley, and even the lower foothills. They can survive but they do not look very attractive after our long hot summers.

Calamagrostris canadensis var. canadensis is found in moist locations and is always indicative that abundant moisture is available. It is a widespread species throughout much of North America.

Phleum alpinum, Alpine Timothy, is founded in high elevation mountain meadows. Occasionally, Cultivated Timothy, Phleum pretense, is seen. It is an escapee from when the high mountain meadows were used as cattle range. Orchard Grass, Dactylis glomerata, is another escapee frequently encountered in our region.

The bright red berries of Sambucus racemosa var. racemosa, our Red Elderberry, are very attractive. This is our common high elevation species. From the Central Valley floor into the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada Blue Elderberry, Sambucus nigra var. caerulea, is another commonly encountered species.

Viola glabella is one of several moisture-loving Viola species found in our portion of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Many of the plants I encountered on this outing were very drought stressed. I will be very curious to discover which plants survive the dry conditions and why.

Aconitum columbianum is our only native Monkshood species in California. It is yet another moisture loving species. Pictured is variety viviparum distinguished by its conspicuous bulblets found in the leaf axils of the inflorescence.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal