We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand AGS 60th Anniversary Conference 2020  (Read 3850 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
New Zealand AGS 60th Anniversary Conference 2020
« on: November 19, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »
The  New Zealand Alpine Garden Society  celebrates  its  60th year  with a study weekend 25-27 January 2020 -  are  any  SRGC members  on the  forum or  from Scotland planning  on  attending?  I understand that  some  email enquiries are  not  being answered - can New  Zealanders  provide  an email contact which works?

https://www.nzags.com/60th
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Adrian

Re: New Zealand AGS 60th Anniversary Conference 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
Maggie,
The address on the poster is working OK studyweekend@NZAGS.com
Failing that try treasurer@nzags.com or through the website www.nzags.com
Cheers,
Adrian.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »
Thanks Adrian - I've  passed on a few  emails  which might  be  useful.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
Wish I could go. I’m still saving pennies for the flights and might be able to afford to visit NZ in about a decade!  :'(
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:08:45 AM »
Hi Maggi,
I was hoping to go but decided as we are expecting a severe fire season it would not be fair on Will to leave him here to guard the place on his own  :'( It's a pity that the Study Weekend is being held at this time of year but it is the best time to go up into the mountains. I've been on previous Study Weekends and have enjoyed them immensely.
I believe the shoe-pixie is already booked-in  ;D
Mat M is considering going and I've asked him to give us a report!
It's not a live-in weekend either so there's the added hassle of getting accommodation  :-\
The last one was held at the Uni in Lincoln and some of the dorms we'd used previously were unavailable due to earthquake damage!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »
Wish I could go. I’m still saving pennies for the flights and might be able to afford to visit NZ in about a decade!  :'(

Hi, Matt...

I feel as much as you do... Someday we'll make it...I'm sure of it. My plan is actually to go to NZ in three years for several weeks...this gift I would like to give myself...for my 50th birthday... hopefully I succeed.

By the way... the newly designed website of the NZAGS is very worth seeing... fantastic photos.

Cheers
Thomas
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:27:57 AM by Leucogenes »

angie

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 05:09:11 PM »

Wish I did these sort of things when I was your age. To old now for these long trips, really wish I had done it at your age . Get those pennies saved.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:09:45 PM »
To old now for these long trips

Really Angie?? Never too old if you really want to go...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

angie

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:30:49 PM »
Gail the older I get the less confident I get. I always have been scared of airports, flying is ok once I am off the ground it’s just these big airports .Pity they couldn’t just put me in a BIG box and send me to New Zealand

Angie T.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 07:03:27 AM »
Small steps to rebuild your confidence - you could try flying Aberdeen to Norwich. Norwich airport is the greatest delight; really small and well run, easy to park just outside and whenever I've been the staff have been really friendly, dedicated and greatly outnumbered the customers!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

angie

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Gail Norwich airport sounds nice. In the past it’s always Heathrow I fly out of. I usually visit my friend in Tulsa USA. I would go more often if I could just miss out the airports  ;D ;D

Angie T.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »
Posted elsewhere  by  Lesley  Cox ......  seems the  event  went  well!!

"What a super weekend we all had at the NZAGS 60th Anniv. celebration. Saturday was for talks starting with a stunning account of the flora from Chengdu in China to Llasa in Tibet. This talk was from John Mitchell from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh, in charge of the alpine sections and collections of that magnificent garden. We saw many plants rarely or never before seen in New Zealand (though Francie Herlund for some years grew the legendry Primula sherriffae, flowering it, almost unbelievably, in a limestone trough!)

John was followed by Mike Thorson who spoke about the plants of Central Otago's rocky, boggy, and always diverse mountain ranges which are home to as many species as the mountains of western Nelson, to many people's surprise. Lunchtume gave an opportunity for catching up with old friends, some not encountered for many years, and a pleasant addition to lunch was a collection of Central Otago's famous stone fruit. The apricots were especially popular while nectarines were taken away to have another day of ripening added to their wonderful red skins. Mike was followed by Dave Toole on bulbous plants for cool places then by Anne Murray who showed an extensive collection of Oxalis species and bulbs/corms from the huge family of Iridaceae.

The final talk was again from John Mitchell and it was a pleasure to listen to his pleasant Scottish voice, every word clear and easily understood even to this old lady whose hearing is deteriorating rapidly. We learned about the RBG Edinburgh, from its beginnings through moves and development, the visionary men whose idea it all was in the first place and the modern garden with its strong ethic of education in Scotland and in many parts of the world, all the time concentrating on the marvellous collections and their care, so many of great interest to the alpine gardener, and how the plants collected in China, Tibet and elsewhere gradually find their way into cultivation for our pleasure and the enrichment of our lives.

We enjoyed an anniversary dinner later in the evening, one of the best in the line of examples from various previous events. The meal was follwed by a talk from Doug Logan about some of his favourite plants. If I can't immediately remember the detail of this account, The Ned may have had something to de with that but I know I enjoyed both talk and wine at the time. A very long day but one to look back upon with pleasure.

Sunday started quietly for me as I planned not to visit the two gardens listed. A time spent in Edna's garden was refreshing and rewarding too. Various seeds and a pot of Scoliopus bigelovii found their way into my lugguge. I have had the latter for many years but this new plant will give me a second clone with which I hope my original will be encouraged to set seed as it has not, so far.

After lunch we set out to Leeston for the garden of Hamish and Mika, collecting Edna's Susan on the way. We also called at Texture Plants a beautifully managed nursery at Prebbleton. All Christchurch gardeners and visitors to the city should frequent this place as there are so many excellent things to be seen - and obtained.
I only bought one but a real beauty, the Hosta called 'Stained Glass,' a rich lime/gold, new to me. (Photo below.)

Hamish and Mika are fortunate as a couple to share their love of plants and the natural world. They are both "hooked" by irises and have been kind enough to share some of these with me and, no doubt, with others. A huge collection of potted alpine and other plants made me envy Hamish's youth and physical strength as many are in big pots which I could never lift. They include many NZ alpines, especially with white and woolly foliage, lovely things.
This was a garden for minute inspection and absorbing of detail. I MUST return there as soon as possible.

From 5pm visitors could shop at half a dozen or so plant stalls set up on the grass where invited sellers were supplying a wide selection of plants. I was one of these zellers and was pleased to have my plants admired before they left my tender care and went to find their new homes with other people where I'm sure they'll be well looked after and appreciated.

A round of quick "thanks" and "goodbyes" and packing of leftover plants finished a long and hot afternoon then up to 70 or 80 people vanished as if by magic and all of a sudden out lovely weekend was over.

When will the next one be?. 70th Anniv or 75th? Or perhaps sooner."

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal