We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula portenschlagiana/muralis  (Read 1060 times)

shaun342

Campanula portenschlagiana/muralis
« on: October 13, 2019, 12:15:11 PM »
Hi folks!

Wondering if any of you Campanula experts might be able to help identify the most vigorous form of portenschlagiana.

I know a lot of garden centres now have varieties that are bred to be less vigorous, but it's the rampant vigour of this plant that I particularly want to use as a mass ground cover.

I've found a nursery that stocks muralis, and another listed as muralis 'major', as well as port. 'Mrs Resholt'. I'm also seeing port. 'Clockwise' in garden centres a lot at the moment.

I'm guessing the unnamed plants would be the ones to go for, but sometimes the portenschlagianas are simply labelled as Campanula. Is there a surefire way of identifying the different varieties (hybrids?) - any slight variations in leaf or flower that could indicate which is which?

shaun342

Re: Campanula portenschlagiana/muralis
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 01:46:05 PM »
I should also add I've recently bought some portenschlagiana seed from Sarah Raven. I'm not sure if any of the named hybrids would be sterile or not so I'm guessing there's a good chance the seed I've got is going to be from a rampant form? Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:12:10 PM by shaun342 »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal