We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus ID  (Read 2607 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Narcissus ID
« on: May 05, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
I'm suffering from lost labelitis. Could anyone have a stab at naming these two Narcissus please. The first has thin, rounded leaves about 18 inches high a couple of inches higher than the flower head. The petals and the little trumpet are the same yellow, and a good scent.

The second has leaves thicker than the previous plant with lemon petals and yellow trumpet.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

afw

Re: Narcissus ID
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
Hi David,
I'm having the same trouble with the second of your narcissus. It could be one of many similar jonquilla.
Try Daffseek and have a look at 'Clare','Bebop, et al.

Can't help with the first one though, handsome though it is.

I'm sure a forumist out there can help.
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »
David, the first one is obviously a N. jonquilla, and probably N. Baby Moon, because it is more likely you could acquire this easier than the real N. jonquilla.
I noticed that Daff Seek and RHS put many hybrids with N. jonquilla all together in N. jonquilla.
Here the two pictures.

Narcissus DIV 13 jonquilla R.A. Sc. '95     
Narcissus DIV 7 Baby Moon [N. jonquilla var Minor x N. jonquilla]
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
Thanks Luit. Having looked on Daffseek I think my first one is Sun Disc.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks Luit. Having looked on Daffseek I think my first one is Sun Disc.
I was not sure David, but here it is for you to compare.
Isn't it beautiful when posting is so quick?  :D :D :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
Thanks Luit, I think that is the one. Forum is very normal tonight-so far!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal