We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus September 2019  (Read 7996 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Crocus September 2019
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »
what to say in front of such beautiful crocus....magnificent!
North of France

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Crocus vallicola from NW Caucasus (sample 322) and very special, distinctly stoloniferous Crocus "speciosus" from NW Iran where it is growing side by side with C. gilanicus.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »
Yesterday I was visited by Alex Harvey, son of famous Australian nurseryman Marcus Harvey, who died from cancer at 64. He was great friend of me and great lower of crocuses. He found new crocus on Ikaria Island and send its seeds to me under label - Crocus nubigena. When it flowered with me for the first time, I immediately saw that it is new species and I wrote to Eric Pasche about it. As Marcus just recently died, I proposed for Eric to name it after discoverer of this species as Crocus harveyi, but getting no reply from him (our interrelations cooled after publishing my book and some critics to his research partner Helmut Kerndorff), I described it by myself and it was published as Crocus harveyi in International Rock Gardener (#90, June 2017). Now in greenhouse is blooming culmination of Crocus speciosus, Crocus turcicus and Crocus salzmannii. On attached pictures I together with Alex Harvey, Crocus harveyi and now blooming part of C. speciosus collection.
How  wonderful to see you two together! 
 This  is the  link to the  IRG : http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2017Jun211498039508IRG_90_June.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2019, 03:27:06 PM »
How  wonderful to see you two together! 
OMG, I choked up - it's like seeing Marcus again!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »
Nicely started blooming different forms of crocuses from C. speciosus group. Some from Iran collected during last years brings pleasant surprises. Here are 3 pictures of Crocus zubovii from very top of Olang pass - pale form and very uniform. It is the first blooming with me. This form was collected at very top, where it grew closely to newly described Fessia olangensis (by Dimitri Zubov and me). Type locality of C. zubovii was at around 1400 m, but this was collected at 2200 m altitude, but keeps main features of typical C. zubovii.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
Another very interesting speciosus group crocus from very high altitude in NW Iran where it is growing side by side with Crocus gilanicus in deep turf sand is forming long side growing stolones. On attached picture you can see mother corm - stolone with new cormlet at top and contractile root at very end. The flower segments are unusually wide and rounded for C. speciosus group.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 11:12:01 AM »
Yesterday I was visited by Alex Harvey, son of famous Australian nurseryman Marcus Harvey, who died from cancer at 64. He was great friend of me and great lower of crocuses. He found new crocus on Ikaria Island and send its seeds to me under label - Crocus nubigena. When it flowered with me for the first time, I immediately saw that it is new species and I wrote to Eric Pasche about it. As Marcus just recently died, I proposed for Eric to name it after discoverer of this species as Crocus harveyi, but getting no reply from him (our interrelations cooled after publishing my book and some critics to his research partner Helmut Kerndorff), I described it by myself and it was published as Crocus harveyi in International Rock Gardener (#90, June 2017). Now in greenhouse is blooming culmination of Crocus speciosus, Crocus turcicus and Crocus salzmannii. On attached pictures I together with Alex Harvey, Crocus harveyi and now blooming part of C. speciosus collection.

Now  this  post elsewhere  from Alex  Harvey on this  visit ......
"Hi all,

just wanted to share this with you -

yesterday I visited Jānis Rukšāns in Latvia representing my late father Marcus Harvey (founder of Hillview Rare Plants) to thank him for many years of gardening & Crocus camaraderie, & in the most recent period to show mine & my family's appreciation for the publishing of 'Crocus harveyi' as a tribute to Dad.

It was a great, surreal moment for me after many years of hearing Jānis' name - & seeing his name written on the old black & white list he always sent out to my Dad's place.

It was a magnificent day on the outskirts of Cesis complete with delicious fresh apples & grapes sourced from the garden, a spot of beekeeping & honey sampling, running garden errands, a little weeding, a delightful lunch at Jānis' favourite restaurant, some local art appreciation, taking in the delicate beauty of his Crocus collection, plant hunting tales & some heartfelt discussion of his working friendship with Dad.

I also particularly wanted to meet Jānis now to hear why he felt compelled to name this incredible plant in honour of Dad, & to feel an even greater connection with what Dad achieved through his life work as we currently finalise the editing of his travel/plant hunting book!

We're currently seeking an appropriate printer/publisher for it, so if you are interested in acquiring a copy please keep your eyes open for further updates!!

If you are subscribed to
Hillview Rare Plants emails (www.hillviewrareplants.com)  we will also be sending out information that way as well!

I sincerely want to thank you all for your interest,
& special thanks again to Jānis & family & friends for having me visit!

Cheers,

Alex"
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

sokol

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
Till now no Crocus vallicola in flower here. But there are some others that were coming out in the last two weeks.

Crocus brachyphilus

652381-0

Crocus cappadocicus

Crocus clusii

Crocus kotschyanus

652389-4

Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

sokol

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
and some more

Crocus mazziaricus  ex Kazik Beli

Crocus mazziaricus ex Thiva

652395-2

Crocus nudiflorus

Crocus zubovii

Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Mariette

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »
Just Crocus banaticus, but I like the subtle variations.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
Crocus gilanicus x autranii F1 flowering for the first time
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:17:36 AM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Crocus banaticus First Snow.
My other white banaticus Snow Drift is just showing noses.
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
Crocus gilanicus x autranii F1 flowering for the first time

Nice selection 10/10
North of France

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 06:15:00 AM »
Crocus banaticus First Snow.
My other white banaticus Snow Drift is just showing noses.

The name 'First Snow' I gave just for its early blooming. When 'First Snow' ends, 'Snowdrift' just starts.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
First one of the season Crocus tournefortii
North of France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal