We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaema seeds  (Read 2002 times)

James Cheshire

Arisaema seeds
« on: August 29, 2019, 02:49:38 AM »
Quick question for the Arisaema experts! I just collected some berries from Arisaema dracontium. Do the cleaned seeds need to be stored moist, or can they be allowed to dry? I couldn't find a really definite answer to this question online.
James M. Cheshire - Granville, Ohio, USA - zone 6a.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Arisaema seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
Forumist Ben Candlin (who runs this  website  : http://arisaema-resource.co.uk/ as well as https://adventurousplants.co.uk/ ) suggests there that ......" all Arisaema seed is best sown fresh. The fresher the better! However, with some species, seed can safely be stored for long periods without any significant loss of viability. In others, the seed seems very ephemeral in nature and viability is quickly lost.

The list below gives the species where seed is known to be ephemeral:

Anything from Section Arisaema
Anything from Section Nepenthoida
Possibly Arisaema lobatum.
Possibly Arisaema limbatum.

It is common to see species such as Arisaema griffithii, speciosum and nepenthoides listed in commercial seed catalogues. Unless this seed has been very carefully stored, or is guaranteed fresh and moist packed, don’t buy it! It will almost certainly be dead and impossible to germinate.

Storing Arisaema seeds:

Arisaema seed may be safely stored without any significant loss in viability.

Ephemeral seeds need to be kept moist. This is absolutely essential! The best way to preserve them is to carefully clean the seed and allow to dry to the point that they no longer stick together, and store in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Place a small piece of moist kitchen towel inside the ziplock bag – this keeps the atmosphere within the bag nice and humid and prevents the seeds from drying out.

For other species, carefully clean the seeds. Allow to dry out and place inside clear a ziplock bag or glassine envelope. Store in the fridge until you are ready to sow."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:18:12 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
If the seeds are white/cream coloured they can usually take dry storage, if they're tan/brown/green they need to be moist packed for sure. I think Kristl moist packed A. dracontium when she sold it at Gardens North years ago, but I honestly cannot remember for sure.

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »
James, 

I've found A. dracontium stores dry fairly well when I've made collections of it and sown them. That said, I've often only cleaned and dried them for a short period and not for more than 6 months.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

James Cheshire

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 02:04:35 AM »
Thanks much! I've decided to moist pack the seeds, just to be on the safe side.
James M. Cheshire - Granville, Ohio, USA - zone 6a.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 06:49:15 AM »
I still have a lot of trouble sprouting Arisaema seeds, except for A. flavum
 with my last experience, many seeds of Arisaema ciliatum, from my own plants, on 3 different seedlings, it is finally those whose seeds dried a few months that germinated the best.

Is it because I keep the sowing pot too wet in the winter? or in too much potting soil? you have to put a bigger piece of gravel?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal