We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hymenocallis 2019  (Read 1285 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Hymenocallis 2019
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:27:36 AM »
This is Hymenocallis acutifolia, a member of the Amaryllidaceae from Southern Mexico. These bulbs were collected in 1982 in Mexico in the state of Chiapas by Herb Kelly Jr. and Thad Howard, and I got them from Herb some years later. They are blooming now, the end of August, and will continue into September. Thad wrote that they could continue flowering even into December if given protection. I grow these in my greenhouse all year around, although Herb grew his in buckets of water, outdoors in Central California.  These are my #1405.

650507-0      650509-1

650511-2

Jim

Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Hymenocallis 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
Also blooming now in the garden as well as in a pot one the deck, Hymenocallis occidentalis (formerly known as Hymenocallis caroliniana) is the most northern-growing species of Hymenocallis, this species grows (or grew) in Southern Illinois, the Southwestern tip of Indiana, the Missouri boot-heel, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina.  It was long known as Hymenocallis caroliniana, until it was found that the type for caroliniana was a drawing of Amaryllis belladonna, or perhaps of some Brunsvigia (Gerald Smith).

The diagnostic traits for distinguishing occidentalis from liriosme include foliage glaucous for occidentalis but bright glossy green for liriosme, and bloom times May-June for liriosme and August-September for occidentalis.  The plant growing in a pot by my deck has flowers with the cup 52 mm (ca. 2 inches) in diameter, petals tip to tip 20 cm (8 in.) and peduncle (scape) 31 cm. (ca. 12.4 in.)  The leaves are about 65 cm (ca. 25 in.) long and 25 mm (1 in.) wide.

650543-0

This one pictured here is from a cross of occidentalis X liriosme, but this one was pollinated with pollen from Mom, since it lacks any of the liriosme traits.  Its pot-mate is going to bloom in about a week, and it shows the traits of its liriosme daddy, having bright glossy green foliage.  I am pollinating the blooming plant shown here with pollen from a plant of occidentalis  that is blooming out in my garden.

Jim

Thad M. Howard, "Bulbs for Warm Climates," University of Texas Press, Austin (2001)

Hymenocallis occidentalis (Leconte) Kunth, Enum. Pl. 5: 856 (1850).

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »
Also blooming here at the end of August:  Hymenocallis azteciana and H. howardii.

650641-0     

Hymenocallis azteciana, last year

650643-1

Hymenocallis howardii, now

Both are from Mexico, and examples of what we used to refer to as the "Mexicana Alliance" or similar terms.  Both do well in pots, and go completely dormant in winter.

Jim

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:47:24 AM »
This is a plant of Hymenocallis occidentalis growing out in the garden.  It is blooming today.  This is what  H. occidentalis is supposed to look like:  the leaves are yellowing off as the first flowers open on the scape; the peduncle stands straight and tall -- 72 cm. tall; the flower is over 8 inches across, the petals stretch 21 cm. tip to tip;  the cup is 75 mm across, a full 3 inches.

650829-0          650831-1

650833-2

I just need more of these growing here in the garden.

Jim

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »
Thanks Jim for showing these nice pictures. Except the classic hybrids and H. harrisiana, the others species and, moreover, the hardy species are quite rare on this side of Atlantic. Does H liriosme, occidentalis and crassifolia set seeds easily ?
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 02:00:07 AM »
It's my pleasure to show these plants. Liriosme and occidentalis will set seeds better if you have enough plants blooming to outcross pollinate.  Once you get the seeds, they need to grow, and rather a long time it can be!  Liriosme is fairly tolerant of transplanting, but occidentalis has been a bear for me to disturb, once the seed has produced a real plant.

On a related topic, I just stumbled across this image of Hymenocallis woelfleana, taken in 1982, hidden away on an external hard drive.  This plant came to me from Caryn Ecker, I think, and this particulars plant is, itself, long since itself dead.  It was either true woelfleana, or it is another unnamed species now lost again to science.  The lone plant I currently have as woelfleana came to me as an offset  from Hugh Bollinger's last surviving plant and has never thrived here.  However Hugh later told me that his bulb was now gone; so mine may be the last plant of woefleana still in cultivation.  How depressing.....

Caryn Ecker's Hymenocallis woelfleana

651174-0

Jim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal