We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lycoris 2019  (Read 1533 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Lycoris 2019
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Lycoris radiata (at least that's what it's called here - someone has suggested it's a hybrid).These are growing in some shade and have been watered recently
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Lycoris 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »
Very lovely Fermi. I've just bought some bulbs so I can try again here. But really want to go to Japan to see the massed flowerings;
https://jw-webmagazine.com/kinchakuda-higanbana-fields-enjoy-fiery-red-flowers-near-tokyo-265050ef9759
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:45:57 AM »
Hi Gail,
Good luck with yours but I doubt anyone would ever get the look of those fields in Japan  ;D
Here's another one, Lycoris incarnata pics taken 2 days apart
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »
I went all the way back to the creek yesterday, where some Lycoris are growing under a Black Walnut tree. I haven't seen those Lycoris bloom in years -- it's about 250 meters from our house-- so this clump of Lycoris (chinensis x longituba) blooming there was a surprise to me when I finally saw it.

The newly-opened flowers are a pale yellow color, but that fades to almost pure white as the flower ages. The buds have a pink color before they open.

650545-0      650547-1

650549-2      650551-3

I got these bulbs from Jim Waddick in 2002.  He got them from his friends at the Shanghai Botanical Garden in China.  They started out as just three bulbs.

Jim

Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 10:37:50 PM »
Any idea what triggered the flowering Jim? Have you had a particularly hot summer?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 11:32:48 PM »
I too, have a welcome surprise: Lycoris chinensis flowers from a bulb received from Jim Waddick, eleven years ago.  These are its maiden flowers here, an unexpected marvel in solid zone 4.  I still have one or two living bulbs from the three or four I received.  As one might expect, they seem to limp along and just survive from year to year..... until this year!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
Any idea what triggered the flowering Jim? Have you had a particularly hot summer?

I am not sure if or how much they have bloomed in the past 17 years since I got 3 lone bulbs of this from Jim Waddick. What I would guess, if they are blooming more than in the past, is that they got a lot of hot weather early this summer, and then loads of rain.  What strikes me is that they have multiplied over the 17 years they have been in that spot.   They are just outside the county's sewer easement, which runs along the creek, so they and their walnut tree have survived several major sewer reconstructions.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal