We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lewisia 2018  (Read 5381 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Lewisia 2018
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
First two flowering in my greenhouse this year.

Lewisia tweedyi, a white form
613652-0

Lewisia cotyledon from the Elise seed strain. These will flower for ever.
613654-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Lewisia 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
Lewisia 'Carousel Yellow'

613856-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

chanc4

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
Gorgeous!
Nancy ~ gardening in Central Virginia USA ~ Zone 7

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »
Just a couple in flower now

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 12:34:45 AM »
So similar yet the red anthers make all the difference. :)

Can anyone suggest a good source of lewisia seed please? I've had many over the years but have just a couple of old sunset strain oranges now and I'd really like to add some more, for their bright colours and good natures. I've recently tried to contact Ashwood whom I understand sell lewisia seed in season but have had no joy, receiving poster-type emails all about events but no information about a seedlist or seed availability.  Any other source would be of interest too. Thanks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »
Maggi, we already have a Lewisia 2018 thread in the Cacti and Succulents Section.

Lesley, certainly Ashwood didn't have Lewisia seed available in 2016 but I haven't checked since. Bit early to check this year though. Alplains usually have a good selection of wild collected and our Seed Ex usually has a range.  I don't feel that Ashwood seem to be as interested in Lewisia as they used to be in the days of Philip Baulk.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 10:47:27 PM »
Thank you David. My problem with Ashwood was that no seed list or info about seed ever showed up in their website, as it arrived with me and Contact Us was equally useless as repeated notes to Contact Us never received a reply. However Jofn Weagle has kindly sent me the relevant pages from their site and it seems they do have lewisia seed at present so I'll try there again. I may even have to phone them!
In the meantime, overnight I've had a PM from an Australian man who will be able to help as well, so soon I hope to be inundated with lewisias. ;D

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »
Lewisia cotyledon 'Bright Eyes'

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Peter II

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 11:20:11 PM »
Why was this topic postponed? Lewisia are North American succulents.
Peter

fgas-sukkulenten.de

astragalus

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 01:13:00 AM »
First two flowering in my greenhouse this year.

Lewisia tweedyi, a white form
(Attachment Link)

Hi David, a couple of questions for you. First, do you grow any other Lewisia tweedyi color forms?  Second, I can see they love your greenhouse, but have you ever grown any of these in the garden?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
Hello Ann nice to see you here.

I grow four colour forms (pictured below) and quite frankly I don't know of any others. I've never tried them in the garden. I usually keep them reasonably dry after the flowers are over, re-pot them in September in a damp, but not wet compost and if I think they are getting too dry I give them a little water. Once I see them starting into growth, usually in February, I start to water again. My maritime climate (wet anytime!) I think wouldn't suit them but I rather think I've seen pictures of them grown outside on NARGS.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

astragalus

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 11:35:08 PM »
Hi David, they are all lovely. The only other L. tweedyi I've seen was a soft lemon yellow, light but definitely yellow and not off-white. They can be grown outside here and for me are easier than L. cotyledon, but a really awful winter like this last one with its dramatic ups and downs and weird thaws, will carry it away.  L. cotyledon, just to be contrary, came through!
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal