We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC 73rd Seed Exchange (2019-2020)  (Read 30230 times)

SueNH

Re: SRGC 73rd Seed Exchange (2019-2020)
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
My seeds just showed up. I had thought the USDA ate them. Stamped released from USDA March 13 but I only just got them. To be completely fair I didn't grab the mail Monday or Tuesday but that's still a long time.

Now I have to get the cover on my little greenhouse. I was just going to carry the few flats I had in and out of the house until things warmed up but now I'll have a bunch.

Thank you all. Gives me a shot at a lot of things I would never have access to. I'm happy I decided to join even if the USDA had completely lost the seeds the knowledge I've gleaned has been well worth it.

Back outside to set a live trap for a woodchuck, like a marmot only bigger and hungrier, he escaped me last year but this year I'll get him one way or another.

Glad I live in the middle of nowhere. I'll be grinning like a fool as I rake. Thanks again  = ]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
That's terrific news, SueNH - goodness knows  what has  been happening with  some  of the  seed deliveries- great to hear yours is  now  safe!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueNH

« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Interesting...
I just looked at the paperwork inside the envelope with the seeds. There were other packs of erythronium that made it. No idea why the usda was offended by just that one. I think it was just a mixed bunch. I didn't save the order.

I just looked at the archived list. New at this but I guess #1473 Erythronium sp mixed. I'm not even going to ask them. I know I'd get a none answer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:47:14 PM by SueNH »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2020, 06:42:58 PM »
Mmm,  I suspect  that they didn't  like the  Erythronium sp.  - I believe  a  full name  is  required  to satisfy  some  regulations.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueNH

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »
Joyce Fingerhut just pointed me to it. One little plant got them trashed and I doubt that one's seed was in there.

https://ecos.fws.gov/ecp/listedSpecies/speciesListingsByTaxGroupPage?statusCategory=Listed&groupName=Flowering%20Plants&total=893

https://ecos.fws.gov/ecp0/profile/speciesProfile?sId=597

so now I know what to stay away from

KK-Ann Arbor

« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2020, 09:25:53 PM »
USDA confiscated 2 packets of Aconitum seeds a few years ago.  According to the paper enclosed, as there are prohibited species and the subject Aconitum packets were labeled only as species they could not rule out that they were not the kind prohibited, they had to be destroyed.
They were included in my package because I selected a number of packets within a range. 
Now when I select seeds of a genus to be selected from a range of numbers, I make sure to exclude any that are described as "sp".

Koko
in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - USDA Zone 5a

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal