We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC 73rd Seed Exchange (2019-2020)  (Read 30221 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
SRGC 73rd Seed Exchange (2019-2020)
« on: July 16, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
73RD SEED EXCHANGE 2019-2020
All seed correspondence, lists and queries can be sent to: seed@srgc.org.uk.  We will ensure that emails reach the relevant manager. 

Seed Donations (Autumn 2019)
Please send fresh clean seed as early as possible (no later than 31 October) to Ian and Carole Bainbridge (see the Team subsection at the bottom of this item for the address). Late seed can be accepted if a list has been received by post or email by 31 October. The seed list will be compiled on 1 November, so late seed may not make the exchange.

The Seed Exchange Team 
Seed Reception Managers:    Ian and Carole Bainbridge, 01557 814141, Luckie Harg’s, Anwoth Road, Gatehouse of Fleet, Castle Douglas, DG7 2EF, Scotland. 
Seed Packeting Manager:   George Watt, 01292 592445, Burnside, Littlemill Road, Drongan, East Ayrshire, KA6 7EN, Scotland 
Seed Distribution Team Manager:  Carolyn McNab, 01557 870225, Barmagachan House, Borgue, Kirkcudbright DG6 4SW, Scotland. 
Seed Request Manager and Seed Accounts Treasurer:  Neil McNulty, 01563 526351, 6 Main Rd, Crookedholm, Kilmarnock, KA3 6JT, Scotland.

SEED DISTRIBUTION – THE VALUE OF DONOR STATUS
When seed distribution comes around, the SRGC Seed Exchange has a particular sequence for fulfilling your seed requests.   

First, we do all the main requests, and the first picks always go to the donors of seed for that year’s exchange.  We sort the donors into a priority ranking; put simply, the donors who have sent the most seed for the most years will have their requests fulfilled first.  The calculation we do means that if you send us 100 packets plus and it’s your first year of donating to the exchange, you’ll still be pretty close to the top of the list. In general, we like you to send five packets of seed to qualify for donor status, but if you send us a big packet of Ranunculus lyallii for example, we’ll be very happy!

If yours is a family membership, you qualify for two donor picks at your donor ranking. This means it’s better for you to send us one donation on behalf of your family rather than separate smaller donations from each of you, and it’s easier for us to administer in the seed reception process.

Second, we fulfil the non-donor main requests.  These are processed in the order of the date of their arrival, so it is an advantage for non-donors to send in their seed requests quickly. 

Third, after the cut-off date for receipt for seed requests, we will fulfil the surplus requests.  These are also done in the order of the date of their arrival, so it is an advantage for members wishing surplus seed to order quickly.  Please also remember that by this point, many of the numbers will have been exhausted, so send us plenty of alternatives on your surplus request.  Again, a family membership qualifies you for two surplus orders if you wish.

So, donate some seed this year and enhance your chances of getting the seed you want from the SRGC Seed Exchange.

SRGC Seed Reception Managers
Ian and Carole Bainbridge

AN APPEAL FOR VOLUNTEERS TO PACKET SEEDS
For new members of the SRGC, ‘seed packeting’ is the process of placing donated seeds into small glassine envelopes for later distribution. It is the middle process of the SRGC Seed Exchange and is of vital importance. Last year we had only just enough volunteers to cope and are therefore anxious to recruit new volunteers. It has been agreed that participants need not be members of the Club and that friends of members would be more than welcome to take part.
 Please do consider joining the team. Detailed instructions will be given. Contact the Seed Packeting Manager: George Watt (01292 592445, seed@srgc.org.uk, Burnside, Littlemill Road, Drongan, East Ayrshire, KA6 7EN).
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
Re: SRGC 73rd Seed Exchange (2019-2020)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »
.... collecting is on the way :-) ...

Bernd

649481-0
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
This year I am going to be able to donate seed from my Saxifraga longifolia plant, which finally flowered and died (as they do).

As this plant is extremely promiscuous it was my intention to remove flower stems of all related saxifrages this year to ensure seed set was pure. However, for various reasons I didn't quite manage this in time, so hybrids are possible. There is masses of seed though!

How would you like me to label the seed?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:51:38 PM »
Best to mark the  seed as  "open-pollinated"  I expect.

P. Kohn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »
We volunteered to help with seed packaging on August 3rd but so far have had no reply to our email. Are volunteers still needed ?

Tristan_He

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »
Best to mark the  seed as  "open-pollinated"  I expect.

Will do, thanks Maggi.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
We volunteered to help with seed packaging on August 3rd but so far have had no reply to our email. Are volunteers still needed ?
As far as  I  know  volunteers are  still needed, Peter - however, it  may be that no replies  have  been sent  out  yet.

P. Kohn

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Have now been contacted. Just an email hitch. I'm sure further volunteers are needed

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »
The SRGC Seed Exchange

SRGC Seed Exchange  73  will take  place  later  this  year - all details will be  available from the  dedicated Seed Exchange  site at that time - https://www.srgcseed.net/home.asp

Details  can also be  found in this  Dryas  booklet : http://files.srgc.net/journals/Dryas-2-2019.pdf

Note  from the  Seed Team re Seed  sent to Australia from  SRGC Seed Ex. 72 :

Seed requests from members  on Australia
During July and August I have received four packets of SRGC seeds from Australia.    These have been returned in their entirety by customs as some of the seeds are not on the allowed seed list.   Not even the acceptable seeds have been passed on to whomsoever requested them.
Members please note this and take extra care when ordering seeds in future.

Thank you

Carolyn McNab, Seed Distribution Manager

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 05:01:55 AM »
We have been reinforcing with our local AGS Vic Group members that they need to check BICON https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0/ViewElement/Element/CaseScientificNames?caseElementPk=1038086  before ordering seeds. This year the Customs Inspectors have interpretted the law to mean that they are not allowed to retain the "offending" packets of seeds and forward the others and instead have chosen the cheaper option of returning the entire package to the sender. Just shifting the expense to the sender and the recipient.
I just hope that it doesn't lead to the Seed Exchanges thinking it's too difficult dealing with Australia - as the RHS and Thompson& Morgan did many years ago  :'(
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

CRSHEP0

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 04:54:28 AM »
Hi, got my seeds in the mail.  Cecile

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 07:13:44 PM »
i too .... today :-)
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
Ian and Carole Bainbridge, 01557 814141 

Seed Donations (Autumn 2019)
Please send fresh clean seed as early as possible (no later than 31 October) to Ian and Carole Bainbridge, Luckie Harg’s, Anwoth Road, Gatehouse of Fleet, Castle Douglas, DG7 2EF, Scotland.

Late seed can be accepted if a list has been received by post or email by 31 October. The seed list will be compiled on 1 November, so late seed may not make the exchange.  Email list  to seed@srgc.org.uk as soon as  possible, please!

kris

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »
I sent mine last week.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
I sent my seeds last Thursday, and was going to email the list of the seeds today, in case they didn't arrive in time. I was so surprised to see a thank you email today in my email! My letter had arrived in two days time, faster than if I send it to someplace in Finland. :o
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal