We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hamamelis dying off on one side  (Read 1287 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Hamamelis dying off on one side
« on: June 27, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with our Hamamelis mollis pallida? One side seems to  be dying off. It did this about 5 years ago and we had to chop off a large section then the rest of the tree perked up and carried on as normal. Now it seems to be doing it again. This tree is one of our favourites so any  advice would be welcome.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Hamamelis dying off on one side
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »
Brian tells me what I should have said was that the tree flowered beautifully all over just after New Year and subsequently all the leaves came out perfectly. It's just in the past week that it has shown signs of distress.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
We've  had  similar die-back on some  rhodos  over the  years.  One  looking sorry  for itself  right  now - but so far we are hoping  for  a recovery.  The  plant flowered  well last  autumn and  this  spring. We reckon the  problem is  mostly  last  year's  drought.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »
Shelagh,
I think Maggi may be right - and if you think back 5 yrs, we had a heatwave in 2014 and several weeks of drought, perhaps that fits in with the die-back? I do hope so! We are just watching our beautiful mature elm tree die - Dutch elm disease is finally catching up here. I think we will need to get the tree surgeon in... So sad (and so expensive!)
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal