We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula thyrsoides  (Read 1494 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
Campanula thyrsoides
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:19:59 AM »
Hello, does anyone of you have Campanula thyrsoides ssp. thyrsoides in culture? Last year I had Campanula thyrsoides ssp. carniolica. They have grown very well, have also flowered abundantly, with many insects, but unfortunately no seeds attached. Does anyone know the reasons? If someone C. thyrsoides ssp. thyrsoides has, I would be very happy if I could buy the (fresh) seeds :-) I had namely in the "bay" already twice bought seeds, without germination :-( For all the tips Thankful!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:36:28 PM by Catwheazle »
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Roma

Re: Campanula thyrsoides
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
Hi Bernd
I don't have Campanula thyrsoides ssp thyrsoides but do have ssp carniolica.  I grew it from wild collected seed from SRGC seed exchange sown in January 2011.  They were pricked off into 7cm pots but never planted out.  When they flowered I did not think they had set seed but the following year found seedlings in many nearby pots.  I had some second generation flower last year and have two going to flower this year.  I got lots of seed last year and have more self sown seedlings appearing. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »
Hello Roma,
that surprises me a lot. Should that mean the seed is dusty? I could not spot seedlings anywhere in my beds, but maybe I did not recognize them as such. If you do not mind, I would like to ask you to post a picture of a seedling here. If I could get some seeds, that would of course be wonderful :-)
greetings
Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Roma

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:28:41 PM »
Hello Bernd
I didn't think there were any small seedlings but found this one when weeding.  All others have been in pots with other plants.The leaves are bristly and rough to touch.
I have two plants coming in to flower now so will send you some seed when it is ready.
Roma

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal