We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardens in Northumberland and the Borders  (Read 3355 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Gardens in Northumberland and the Borders
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:34:54 AM »
Last week Brian and I had a few days in Hexham and visited 4 gardens and one coastal site.  We were pretty lucky with the weather. Our first garden was Belsay. It is interesting in that most of the garden is in the quarry which was excavated to build the house and stable block. The ruins of the original castle are still on the site.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Gardens in Northumberland and the Borders
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »
The quarry was much deeper and more impressive than I had imagined.

The handkerchief tree was huge and definitely the best I've ever seen.

I liked this leaf on a shrub which couldn't decide what colour it should be.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »
There was also a mix of species Rhodos and huge well established hybrids.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
Our second day took us over the border to Scotland and Monteviot a wonderful old established garden. We arrived early but the Head gardener spotted Brian and let us in. He said there were only 3 staff to maintain it all. It is a wonderful place, they give you a map and you just follow the arrows strategically placed round the garden. Between 2 and 1/2 and 3 miles in total.

We would absolutely recommend it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:44:48 PM by shelagh »
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
There were formal beds on the terrace and a lovely double blue geranium at eye level. A winter garden which was not very florifierous at this time of year but I liked the bark on this tree. Wonderful Azaleas still in flower this far north.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
Extensive lawns ran down to the river with huge herbaceous and shrub beds. The air here is so clear the lichen on the trees was beautiful.

Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
As we worked our way round we came to a wonderful water garden.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 01:43:39 PM »
All topped off by a Meconopsis only just planted and getting going.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »
On Saturday morning it was raining quite hard at times.  We headed off to Longframlington, it was quite a large garden with some wonderful planting and some unusual shrubs but unfortunately the rain meant I didn't get my camera out.

In the afternoon we made our final garden visit to the smallest of them all Bide a Wee. Only 2 acres but wonderfully planted again in the remains of a quarry.

Brian and I are lovers of ferns and there was a wonderful stand of Blechnum penna marina. Also Alliums and Blue Poppies and lovely borders.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
There was a huge Cardiocrinum just coming into bud with last years stems and seeds still there. Lots of contrasts in the borders.

Brian in his wet weather gear as it was still drizzling on and off.

I spotted this little interloper and noticed when looking at the sale plants later that quite a few of the pots had interlopers too.

This lovely dark Phyteuma reminded me of the Swiss Alps.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »
I think this is Poke weed but I'm not sure, likewise the Rubus. I'm on safer ground with the Primulas.

The staff were lovely and there were a great variety of plants for sale.

It's interesting how the prices for entry to the gardens varied Belsay the most expensive and Bide a Wee the cheapest.  All were worth the vist and made an enjoyable few days.

On the Sunday morning we set off for home, but ofcourse we rarely ever go straight home. But more of that later.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 04:37:29 PM »
A good few years ago at I think a Ponteland Show there was a display and a booklet to take published by the Durham Wildlife Trust entitled "Magical Meadows and the Durham Magnesian Limestone".  This booklet has proved invaluable for searching out sites we would never have known about. 

This time on our way home we went via "The Leas" just north of Sunderland  near South Shields. This is what we found on a bright blustery morning.

Orchids and thrift and terrific views.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
The wonderful rocks are called the stacks and we are close to Souter Lighthouse.

The orchids are I think Northern Marsh orchids but I'm happy to be corrected.

The second view gives a good look at a wonderful cave that was very enticing to some young boys who were headed that way.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
One final look from the other side and then head for the A1 and home.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

ruweiss

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:32 PM »
Shelagh, thank you so much for showing us these beautiful places
and plants.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal