We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Berkutenko's new seed list  (Read 5444 times)

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
Berkutenko's new seed list
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:37:40 AM »
I thought that I should let you know, that Alexandra Berkutenko's new  seed list is now on-line http://www.meconopsis.st/Berkutenko.html

There you can also find an announcement of her new book about the Magadan flora. The book is in Russian but there are plant names in Latin. The beautiful images and the maps about the plants distribution in Eastern Asia makes the book interesting also to people, who cannot read Russian.
Hannelotte in Sweden

Hannelotte's Garden website:
http://www.abc.se/~m8449/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Berkutenko's new seed list
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
Thanks, Hannelotte.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:21:43 PM »
Impressive list Hannelotte :)
Are they selling Cypripedium seeds? I bet they will have some trouble putting 15-25 of those seeds in an envelope. :)
I hope some of the Cypripedium seeds will be bought by people that knows how to make something out of it. Just spreading it around other cypripedium is slightly to low chanse even if it is not impossible. There are people that have succeded but I think many more have failed.
Do You know if Malmgren is getting some? I know he was aiming to make / find a good clone of Macranthus so maybe some new genes into the genepool would be nice.

Thanks for sharing
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »
Joakim,

I don't think Malmgren is interested. He doesn't like ripe seed, but collects them 8 weeks after blooming. Than you don't need to break dormancy.
Anyhow, I offered him seed of C macranthos and 2005 he was interested to come to collect the following year, but 2006 he wasn't interested any more.
Hannelotte in Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »
Hannelotte
I thought Malmgren did both but that were just guessing. He got "Yours" 2005 and looked for new 2006.
Maybe this new specimiens were something extra regarding shape/size and colour that would make him interested even in mature seeds.
I am just hoping that he will be offring great plants to me in 2-4 years in all the possible colours of mac that grows easily and flowers even more easiely, so the more he has to chose from the more likely that is to happen, but if the plants are normal good ones, he might not want to do the extra work for little possibe gain. The Russian macrathos have a lovely spread in colour at least in photos  8). I hope they come into cultivation as seed plans and not dug up by others not caring about the nature.

I bet people find alot of things there, it was an impressive list and the book looked interesting too.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:06:35 AM »
Joakim,

I have divisions of Cypripedium macranthos and I have no difficulties to grow them or get them into flowers. In my experience artifically propagated cyps are not easier to grow than divisions. -- But this is maybe not the right thread to discuss propagating and growing Cypripedium ;).
Hannelotte in Sweden

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »
Hi Hannelotte,
Thanks for passing on the seedlist of berkutenco`s,lots of reading and dreaming  :D
If there are more sources with available list please send.

Cheers
Geebo
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 01:13:18 PM »
Does it normally take a long time to get a response from Alexandra? I sent an email with a preliminary order about 2 weeks ago now with a couple of questions. It must be almost 10 years ago I last ordered when she was just starting up (I remember that she had just been to a conference in Tromso, Norway). I guess it's a much bigger operation these days and I have to be patient...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »
Stephen
Yes, it's normal. Sometimes she send letter with seeds and answer later. She is very busy.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal