We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley-May 23 2019  (Read 1343 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Wisley-May 23 2019
« on: May 24, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
It was some time since our last visit to Wisley but some stable weather tempted us to make the trip on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. If anyone is planning a visit to Wisley in the future I have a very good B&B just about three miles away I could heartily recommend, just PM me if you are interested.

There is a lot of building work going on at the moment to improve the visitor services with a new plant centre, bookshop, and visitor centre etc. due to open in the next few weeks and a new science facility etc. due to start shortly.

Apart from the Alpine areas I enjoyed the visit tremendously but I was not really impressed at all with the Alpine sections. Given that it is perhaps an awkward time of year for an alpine gardener the ZZ crevice garden was quite bare and weedy apart from many patches of Erinus. I have seen the Rock Garden in much better shape on previous visits and the Alpine Houses which should set the national tone were also short of some quality alpine plants. I don't think any of us would expect Corydalis 'Craigton Blue' to be placed on the alpine house bench regardless of the fact that it is a stormingly good garden plant.

A few pictures that caught my eye.

From the Garden:

Athyrium niponicum 'Godzilla'

Iris 'Skating Party'

Rhododendron Halopeanum (3 pictures)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Wisley-May 23 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
More from Wisley

Rhododendron 'Advance'

Rhododendron 'Schneerkrone' (two pictures)

Wisteria scrambling to the top of what must be a 70 foot Oak

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 09:00:13 PM »
From the Hot Houses:

Doryanthes palmeri together with details

645757-1

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:43:39 AM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
From the Hot Houses continued.

Strongylodon macrobotrys (Jade Vine) and details 

Streptocarpus 'Constant Nymph'

645811-0

645813-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
Alpine House:

Asperula sintenisii

645817-0

Corydalis 'Craigton Blue'

645819-1

Lewisia columbiana

645821-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »
Alpine House continued.

Phyteuma scheuchzeri

Viola stojanowii

Tufa Wall

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:53:46 PM »
and to end three pictures of Rhododendrons on Battleston Hill (not named)

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
Thanks for posting David - it looks lovely, I haven't been for ages and was thinking of going soon for the peony trials but actually that jade vine is what I really want...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »
Good grief, how  pathetic does  poor  'Craigton Blue' look- stuck in a  pot  under  glass!! Corydalis 'Craigton Blue'  is a fine, robust garden plant and  should be  outside enjoying freedom and fresh air!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal