We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Black nasties  (Read 1743 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Black nasties
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »
Can anyone help me identify these black nasties which are all over a young Elder we have in the front garden. We have 2 books on pests and diseases and these don't feature in either, typical.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ian mcdonald

Re: Black nasties
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
Sorry Shelagh, the picture is not clear enough. Are they aphids?

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
I think so Ian, unfortunately there was a stiff breeze blowing so the branch wouldn't stay still.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

arisaema

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
Elder aphids? Might be worth fighting them, since this page mentions them overwintering on the roots of Saxifraga: https://influentialpoints.com/Gallery/Aphis_sambuci_elder_aphid.htm

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
Thank you so much for all that information. They are definitely what we have although after using the Bug Gun yesterday there are a lot less than there were. I shall re-read the info you sent as it's a lot to take in.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal