We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Acer palmatum 'Momoiro Koysan'  (Read 1271 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Acer palmatum 'Momoiro Koysan'
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
The above has spent around two years in a pot and always looked healthy. Up to a couple of weeks ago it still looked healthy and it was only today after carrying my usual post-storm inspection of the patio planters I noticed this Acer is looking sick. Any ideas what it might be and what caused it please?

643523-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carolyn

Re: Acer palmatum 'Momoiro Koysan'
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »
David,
Difficult to tell from your photos, but given that you have just had a big storm pass through, I would guess wind scorch. The leaves do not like strong winds, especially in those first few  days after they open. If it is that, you should have some new leaves growing soon.
If it's not wind damage, I would try planting it out in the garden. A lot of plants prefer the more stable conditions of the ground compared to my (lack of) tender loving care of them in pots!
Good luck with it - you can never have too many acers.  I have just succumbed to temptation and bought the gorgeous A. aconitifolium. Now I need to find somewhere to plant it!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Acer palmatum 'Momoiro Koysan'
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
Thanks for your help Carolyn. I will do as you suggest and see if it re-grows it's leaves.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal