We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Quality flower pots  (Read 1905 times)

Lyndon Whyatt

Quality flower pots
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
I am struggling to source a supplier of good quality rigid back plastic 7cm flower pots for pricking out seedlings. I’ve bought cheap ones in the past and thrown them away as they split. I’m looking for something more durable to use again and again. It’s hard to judge the quality from websites. Has anybody got any recommendations?
PS this is my first post so please be gentle 😯

grenadier

Re: Quality flower pots
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
I buy my pots from www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk and have found the heavyweight 9cm 11cm and 13cm to be of very good quality. They do a 7cm square black heavyweight pot 10 for £4.44. although I have not used that size. Hope this helps you.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
I am struggling to source a supplier of good quality rigid back plastic 7cm flower pots for pricking out seedlings. I’ve bought cheap ones in the past and thrown them away as they split. I’m looking for something more durable to use again and again. It’s hard to judge the quality from websites. Has anybody got any recommendations?
PS this is my first post so please be gentle 😯

TEKU would be my first choice - been looking for a link for small quantities but they are very very expensive - especially when I know how much a full box is

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 10:27:26 PM »
I buy my pots from www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk and have found the heavyweight 9cm 11cm and 13cm to be of very good quality. They do a 7cm square black heavyweight pot 10 for £4.44. although I have not used that size. Hope this helps you.
https://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/pots-and-planters/pots/square-pots/7cm-square-black-heavyweight-plant-pots-x-10

44.4p each that is criminal (plus postage) - I would want them gold plated for that :)

should be no more than 7-8p inc vat max - but it depends on how many you are buying

Just seen 3 X 50 pieces from China for about £13.00 on ebay - just depends on how quick you need them

Have had a couple of boxes/crates from China off Alibaba and they are good quality and cheap (below is just an example - some places do min 1,000)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Creative-Colorful-Mini-Flower-Square-pot_60541661779.html

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

brianw

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:19:57 PM »
You may find some of the alpine plant nurseries are prepared to supply you if you have no access to trade supplies. For instance Avon bulbs will sell you tall form pots in small numbers, +postage if you are not ordering bulbs. Maybe you have a gardening/allotment association in your area that runs a shop. Some are as good as many garden centres and cheaper too. If you buy in full boxes/nets they are very much cheaper. They may tell you where they get their supplies from but you will have to buy in say 500's to get very low prices.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

François Lambert

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
They no longer make very long lasting pots because the plastic may no longer contain plasticizer.

I found suitable pots on the second hand market from a professional grower who was liquidating some extra stock.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Carolyn

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:21:07 PM »
I never buy pots! Friends and neighbours offer me pots when they are clearing out their sheds - you can be quite selective in what you will accept! Another source could be your local charity shop - our always has stacks of pots.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal