We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ferns 2019  (Read 7030 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Ferns 2019
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
2 photos of Asplenium ceterach found in my hometown this month,
the species is extremely rare here in the northern part of Germany.
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
Wonderful pictures Gerd, I love to see it walking it's way along a wall in all the cracks and crevices.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
Thank you Shelag! This occurence was nearly lost when the owner 'tiedied up' the wall. Fortunately he did this not very carefully
and the ferns sproutet again from their roots. After that the propietor was informed about the uniqueness of the site and so these
plants are relatively safe now.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 01:09:08 PM »
I am wondering about identity of this fern.
I have bought it as Dryopteris dilatata 'Stansfieldii', but can't find anything with that in internet. Maybe it is something else? Any ideas?
It is not big, maybe 20-25cm tall, and it loses it's leaves during winter, so that in the spring there are no leaves left.
The first picture was taken in September and the last picture last week.

Here is finally a picture of it's leaves now, and spores. Not a very good picture, I'm afraid. I will have to take a better one next summer.
I tried to compare it with my D.dilatata 'Whiteside' spores, but 'Whiteside' leaves had already died so I couldn't compare.
Leena from south of Finland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »
Leena, the spores look like those of D. dilitata. If the scales on the stems have a dark line down the centre this is also a feature of D. dilitata. The RHS Plant Finder 2019 lists Dryopteris dilitata Crispa Whiteside. I hope this helps.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Thank you Ian.  :) It seems that it is D.dilatata 'Stansfieldii' like the label said, though I can't find 'Stansfieldii' in the net.
It is a small fern (20-25cm), contrary to 'Whiteside' (or is it possibly 'Crispa Whiteside' like Ian wrote), which is a tall fern, maybe 80cm or close.
Here is a picture of my D.dilatata 'Whiteside' last July.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal