We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early Bulb Day - Dunblane - 16th February 2019  (Read 3126 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Early Bulb Day - Dunblane - 16th February 2019
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
auction of Fred's paintings.
634239-0

634241-1

634247-2
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:14:58 PM by Maggi Young »

Sally

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »
It's so fun to see the photos of the shows. Thank you, Stan!

Sally in snowy North Idaho

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »
My computer is playing up - so I'm only getting a glimpse of Stan's  super photos now - many thanks Stan, from me and the distant  "viewers"!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 08:11:30 PM »
Well done Stan, great stuff.  Maybe it's a perspective problem but doesn't Ian Young look very, very tall (which he isn't!) and Julia looks very petite. Or is it my eyesight? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Well done Stan, great stuff.  Maybe it's a perspective problem but doesn't Ian Young look very, very tall (which he isn't!) and Julia looks very petite. Or is it my eyesight? ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D
 So funny!  Julia is standing on one of the steps up the  stage, David, which is making her look a tad shorter than one would imagine!   
P. S. Ian says he's perfectly formed   :-X

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
Sandy Leven's report of the  day ....
http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/DunblaneEarly2019.pdf
 Thank you, Sandy

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 07:30:36 AM »
Having moved north, I managed my first visit to the Dunblane Early Bulb Day this year.  I did not know quite what to expect; I am familiar with the Harlow AGS show which takes place in early March and some of the snowdrop-specific events which take place in the south of England in late January and early February.  Here are some of my impressions:
  • The venue seemed barely big enough to accommodate the number of attendees, perhaps because numbers were swelled by the visiting party from Germany.  But even so, everyone seemed to fit-in without much inconvenience.
  • I really enjoyed the talks by the two Ians, how fortunate we are to have access to two such top-notch speakers.
  • The range of early bulbs actually on sale was quite limited by comparison with February events in the south of England.  There you would see a much greater range of Galanthus, Eranthis, Ficaria verna etc.
  • The food was good and inexpensive.
  • I would have liked to see some winter-interest plants on sale, as you would at the Harlow AGS Show.  But the Harlow venue is a school with much more room for vendors to spread-out and display some larger plants.
  • I had hoped to meet Maggi in person for the first time and was sad to learn that she was unable to attend.

You can see me on the left in the photo of the audience waving.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
I see you in the photo, Alan - without your hat ( as befits being indoors!)   As you have seen, space is art a premium for  the  Early Bulb Day - perhaps you will find  some  bigger plants for your  garden is  you are able to attend some of the other shows in the season!

There cannot be too many events across the country  like this with two talks and all the associated  attractions - for  FREE!  Something for which  I think the  SRGC can be  rightly proud.  Sometimes a donation is asked, but when seen against  the cost of some  events, it's marvelous that SRGC can do this  as part of its remit to encourage, enthuse and  educate.  :)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 11:26:45 PM »
Yes, that hat keeps my ears nice and warm in cold weather but if worn indoors I overheat! 

Maggi, you are absolutely correct that the free entry is a wonderful aspect of the Early Bulb Day that I omitted to mention.  And although circumstances obliged me to arrive by car, proximity to a train station is something rarely achieved in events like this.  I'll certainly do my best to get to some of the later shows, now they are within reach of my new home.   
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal